Re: GM Quad4 (2.3L DOHC I4) :How durable is it?

2001 Pointiac Grand AM Quad 4 SOHV - 80,000 KM. Synthetic Oil changes every 5K. And it Head cracked. GM Knew this was a problem but is also hoping the owners would go way licking their wounds. I complained to GM. Got a take to to our dealer... who quoted me $3500 to fix with the exact same parts that failed. Went to an idenpendant engine rebuild shop. They put on a re-engineered head re-enforced where the hot and cool jackets sit to stop future leaking. Got absolutly no help from GM. It was my first and last GM I will ever own. So... Frankly my family and I will never buy another GM Product. Looking forward to their Chapter 11.
Reply to
james.perreault2

The good news is that kind of thing won't happen when we're all driving/riding electric cars because there's no head. If the motor fails, you just bolt on another one and rebuild the old one. Life will be good again.

Reply to
dsi1

Having all-electric vehicles makes for much simpler drive trains and a lot less to go wrong. A simpler mechanism is easier to repair as well.

But, once GM gets their hands on the design, all bets are off. I am sure the same people that designed Oldsmobile diesel engines that exploded at

30,000 miles and Chevy ECUs that crashed when nearby truckers keyed up their CB radio will figure out some way to make electric vehicles that fail prematurely and are difficult to repair.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

Get a torque wrench and check the head bolts, other 'important' bolts. If the vehicle has a lot of miles on it, you will probally find some loose bolts, regardless of whatever brand name of engines.

Reply to
allisellis851