re: HEI distributor from 1979 Chevy 350 V-8 ( Cardell # 301895)

I have one of the above distributors. It has the coil built into the cap, and the module has 2 spade connectors coming out of each side of it. I have changed the cap, the coil, the module and the rotor several times. The problem is that 3/4 of the time it will start and run fine, however, then at other times it will not start and has no power to the spark plugs when turning over. If I tap on the top of the distributor cap with a screwdriver, then it will start working. Does anyone know why this happens, and how I can fix it? Thank you for your help, Mike

Reply to
mike

I would suspect the hold down foot has gotten rusty breaking the ground circuit.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00 88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's - Gone to the rust pile... Canadian Off Road Trips Photos: Non members can still view! Jan/06
Mike Romain

When you are replacing the cap and rotor are you using OEM parts or third-party replacements?

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

There are 2 coils, the ignition coil that mounts in the cap and the pickup coil that connects to the module. The pickup coil is a relatively high mortality part, if it has not been changed I would do that.

Lee Richardson Mech-Tech

Reply to
Lee Richardson

"mike" wrote

Check the pickup coil in the bottom of the distributor (with all the little inward-facing teeth that match the outward-facing teeth on the shaft), paying particular attention to the two wires going from it to the module. Every time the vacuum advance moves, those wires flex. After a while, they can break internally where you can't see, and cause weird symptoms.

Other than that, make sure the carbon button is in good shape, and the power and module plugs on the outside of the cap are plugged in securely.

Reply to
MasterBlaster

Also check the rotor carefully. If your plugs and/or wires have too much resistance the spark can shoot straight down through the rotor to the shaft.

Reply to
RayV

On Wed, 15 Aug 2007 06:08:01 GMT, "MasterBlaster"

Reply to
BigFoot