Re: How can I clean a catalytic converter?

On a side note, do you have a cite for this? I needed to buy a complete stock exhaust system a while back and the yard would only sell it to me after cutting off the cat. I didn't need the cat, but I did need the flanges off the cat so that I could weld on the new cat in the stock configuration. I ended up walking away and leaving the pieces on their floor because they ruined it. I figured their line about federal law was just the general bullshit.

JazzMan

Reply to
JazzMan

Section 203 (a) (3) (A) and (B) of the 1990 Clean Air Act say that you cannot remove the converter from any car unless you are shipping it overseas. This means that until the bone yard sells you the car, you can't have the cat.

Cleaning a catalytic converter? either you're a great chemist, or shooting in the dark - catalysts by their very nature are not reversible without a better catalyst. Get a new converter if you want a clean one

- no paint can take the heat external, you won't be able to plate it

-what you'll do is spend alot of time and effort and money for nothing anyway else.

Andrew

JazzMan wrote:

Reply to
Andrew Paule

Anyone care to give their opinion as to why this is? I know removal from a working car is illegal and I can understand taht. Did the government just make a blanket statement and so even getting a catcon from the bone yard is illegal? =o'

Reply to
Bruce Chang

Reply to
Andrew Paule

i'm told that a .45 slug does well. sam

Reply to
sammmm

Unless you happen to live in an area that requires emission testing, a bar driven through the cat will 'clean' it just fine. ;)

mike hunt

Andrew Paule wrote:

Reply to
MikeHunt2

Unfortunately, its not the general bullshit. Its worse. Its specific EPA bullshit. :-p

Reply to
Steve