2004 Nissan Quest - universal catalytic converter ok?

Hi all,

Looks like I need a new catalytic converter on my Quest... I'm over the

80k federal warranty & it looks like the "Nissan Gold Preferred Plus" isn't all that comprehensive so they don't want to cover it either.

Can I install one of those 'universal' cats that I see advertised since they're only like 25% of the cost of the Nissan OEM one?

Thanks!

Reply to
Me

I've bought a few that were OEM fit, but not OEM with no problems. Check out Summit Racing for pricing. Thats where I bought mine.

-SP

Me wrote:

Reply to
speedy

speedy wrote in news:4838d11a$0$4068 $ snipped-for-privacy@roadrunner.com:

Thanks - I checked out the site but they don't seem to have one for the Quest - just lists it for the Frontier and the Xterra... are 'univeral' cats not really 'universal'? If so, does anyone know where to get a non- factory one for the Quest?

Reply to
Me

on 5/24/2008 4:12 PM Me said the following:

Check at your local Meineke, Midas, or other muffler store.

Reply to
willshak

Me wrote in news:Xns9AA984DCDB28mypersonalkey6637847@199.45.49.11:

I don't know how you could have a "universal" cat,as the flanges are different for different brands,flow rates are different for different engine sizes,tubing sizes different,cat lengths are different.

A "universal" cat would require you to cut off the pipe close to the old cat,and use U clamps to secure the new cat on the old tubing.No "bolt-ons".

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Any extra help from Nissan on this known issue? Or is this another of Nissan's "we built in a manufacturing defect but once you are out of warranty we don't give a $hit".

To the OP: Check your local auto parts store. They can get you an aftermarket cat that will fit like the original at a reasonable price.

Reply to
still just me

Meineke is telling me that I have to go to Nissan to do it...

I asked about him getting a 'universal cat' and fitting it in there & he said that since it's an ODBII system then I need the factory converter part or the system will keep throwing CEL's.

Is this true? I'm still waiting to hear back from Monroe & Midas, but the Meineke guy said there aren't any aftermarket cats for an 04 Quest.

willshak wrote in news:l5adnb7-SfZ17aTVnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@supernews.com:

Reply to
Me

Me wrote in news:Xns9AAB679646ADBmypersonalkey6637847@130.81.64.196:

no,all you do is put a O2S spacer in the cat bunghole,then the O2 sensor. It's a spark plug "defouler" drilled out to pass the O2 sensor. They are sold on Ebay,or you could make one yourself.

Reply to
Jim Yanik