RE: hybrid operation

Hi all.

The newbie has got a newbie question:

Are there any shops/garages out there that are converting regular cars into hybrid cars? I imagine this could be an expensive operation, but I'm wondering if it even exists at all.

Thanks in advance.

Depends on what kind of hybrid. There are multi-fuel engine conversions done, which would qualify the car as a hybrid.

Reply to
John S.

I would guess it would cost more than just buying a Prius. It would take major driveline changes (adding a large electric motor, generator, etc.), adding a heavy bunch of batteries, which would require beefing up the area of the car where they are located, and developing and producing a sophisticated controller. The Prius uses a CVT, not many of them around aftermarket. Engine needs to be modified. LOTS of work, lots of design issues.

Reply to
Don Stauffer

Gas to electric conversions are pretty common. Hybrid drivetrains require a more 'whole-vehicle' approach. Conversions would be unlikely.

Reply to
Rex B