[rec.autos.tech] 1999 Toyota Camry - hard to start

In the a.m. on first start it used to start by just turning the key now it won't start and requires pumping the gas once, maybe twice but usually once is enough.

Someone suggested turning the key to on and leaving it for 30 secs or so. Then turn off and then turn to start. Sometimes that works and other times it doesn't.

If you know Camrys do you have an idea what to check?

Car has a little over 100,000 miles and is a 4-cyl.

Reply to
Electric Comet

I'd put a gauge on the fuel rail and look at the pressure when it's idling. I'd also look to see how quickly it comes up to pressure and whether it retains pressure after you shut the engine off.

When was the fuel filter last changed?

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

You're saying it's the fuel pressure? So maybe things are leaky. Checking pressure after shutoff shows that it's leaky? I will go this route and see what I find.

I think it's recent.

Reply to
Electric Comet

No, I am saying the first thing I would look for would be a fuel pressure issue. That is most likely. The gauge will tell you for sure.

If it's not fuel, it's spark, air or timing, after all.

Good. How about the pump?

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

Understood.

Indeed, indeed. Make's it sound so simple.

I don't know. Will have to check but vaguely I think it's recent.

One more data point. When the engine does kick over it really wants to die so giving it gas is required until it warms up a little.

Reply to
Electric Comet

Gathering data slowly.

Turning the ignition to on and leaving for a few minutes and the car starts right away.

Haven't had the time to do anything else.

Reply to
Electric Comet

sounds like a fuel pressure problem

I sorta have a similar problem, but mine is timing related. Ever since I had the timing belt replaced the engine cranks for 3-5 seconds before firing.. First start of the day it starts right up.

Reply to
m6onz5a

I'm going to visually inspect then take it in.

Reply to
Electric Comet