Remote car start via phone?

On Wed, 09 Aug 2006 12:49:56 -0400, Agave

Reply to
AZ Nomad

the big cars, slow down

Glad you posted that. I read somewhere that the cost of running ac is about 1mpg on most modern cars. The best advice for saving money on gas is to keep tires inflated at one of the higher pressures recommended by the car manufacturer. Additionally, driving at a steady moderate speed up and down hills and on the flats combined with keeping the car in a good state of tune will also help maximize mpg.

Reply to
John S.

I usually drive with the windows open and the air conditioning ON. The windows are just cracked really, too let the smoke out, and I like driving with windows open anyway. Can you imagine driving a pickup with an open bed, and airconditioning on, and winndows down. Hey, I still get about 11 MPG around town. It does not matter!

greg .

Reply to
GregS

I can't see why air conditionng is any different on modern vs old vehicles. Did you know most large vans have more BTU's than most home whole house air conditioning.

greg

Reply to
GregS

I forget what year it was. The Feds used to have a thing going where every year the car companies were suppose to decrease fuel consumption. They quit doing that one year probably back in the 80's. Supposed to boost the economy. I think it boosted foreign car sales. Well now, the average size of vehicles is way too high.

grge

Reply to
GregS

Well look on the bright side: with the global warming, in a few more years, he won't have to worry about it freezing in Philly in the winter!

Reply to
Matt Ion

Yeh and on the West Coast we'll have to remote start the car and run the AC first

Doug

Reply to
Doug L

Don't you mean, "start the sub"? ;)

Reply to
Matt Ion

Well you know cold woofers don't perform well. Ths Fs of the driver is going to be high and the enclosure will be too big. Perhaps retunning the port length will help. Need to be shorter. You can also decrease port length by placing an object near the port. Even your hand placed near the port will make it shorter.

greg

Reply to
GregS

Ridiculous. How are you supposed to defrost the windows in 30 seconds?

Reply to
Larry Bud

Frank blows a lot of hot air, his windows defrost pretty quickly

Doug

Reply to
Doug L

I sure got that wrong. Placing a hand near makes it longer.

Just get a woofer preheater, or just play loud music. If you have a remote starter the music can start to play at the same time, thus providing you with maximum boom.

greg

Reply to
GregS

Can't tell you much about AC systems on older cars, but some of them ran constantly while the newer ones cycle on and off. I suspect that the newer ones are more efficient because the newer ones just don't seem to drag the engine down as much when they come on. And finally, I suspect that the design of AC systems, like the design of many other automotive systems has improved over the past 30 years.

Reply to
John S.

near the port.

Oops, forgot where I was posting... I meant "submarine" (global warming, melting polar ice caps, etc.), but your version works too :)

Reply to
Matt Ion

Black metal works well... the brimstone warms the coils right up.

Reply to
Matt Ion

Clowns here like Doug L. and the rest of the EVIL AMERICAN GOVT PROGRAMMED AMERICAN SLAVES are PAYING TAXES through their SLAVE HINIES to these AMERICAN GOVT PSYCHOPATHS and TERRORISTS to WATCH me defrost windows in my CAR.

Reply to
Frank Olson

You do mean - most AC use *of yours* isn't at 70mph, don't you?

Reply to
Agave

It's called "Mobile One". It's a synthetic motor oil. I use it in all our vehicles. The greatest engine wear occurs when you first start a "cold" engine (one that has been sitting idle for long periods). This stuff reduces that to practically nil. I also use their synthetic transmission fluid. I have a 1968 Buick Skylark that still purrs like a kitten and lays about 100 feet of rubber on the one-two shift. She's got a 455ci long block with Bosch ignition, Hooker headers, and a Holley carb.

They have. The first time I ever saw anything written up about synthetic motor oils was in a Popular Mechanics magazine from about 20 years ago. They changed out the factory supplied oil with "Mobile One" and put 130,000 miles on a brand new Lincoln Town Car WITHOUT changing the oil. They did top it up when required with more "Mobile One", and changed the filter at the suggested intervals. When they tore down the engine after 130,000 miles, the bearings, rings, and gears were still within factory specs for a NEW engine. Not only that, but they took two samples of regular 10-30 weight oil and one of "Mobile One" to -50 degrees Celsius. You could still pour the "Mobile One" (there was very little difference from the room temperature sample), while the regular motor oils became viscous "sludge" in the bottom of the test beakers.

If you were in a parking garage and confronted with a couple of shady characters approaching, who would you call?? "911" or your car's auto-starter??

Reply to
Frank Olson

Mythbusters took identical Ford Explorers with equal amounts of gas and did a constant speed on an oval race track. One with the windows down and one with the AC on. The one with the windows down did 15 additional laps before running out of fuel.

Reply to
Rick Brandt

The autostarter. I'd rather get away and stay alive than help the police find my beaten corpse. Do you have some strange notion that the police will arrive in time if you call 911? They won't even get you to convey your location in time.

Reply to
AZ Nomad