Repair Damage from Cavitation

I've got pin holes in the cylinder wall of my 7.3L diesel. My research has turned up many ways to prevent this, but I cannot find many methods to repair.

So far all I've found is that I could have the cylinders sleeved, but this needs to be done with someone who has experience with this process.

Are there any other satisfactory fixes? Thanks,

Reply to
kraftamle

Somehow you have to get to good metal again. Either sleeving or boring would be the choices I can think of. But boring may not be an option depending on the severity of the pitting.

Reply to
John S.

Um, John...

The pin holes are from the water jacket -into- the cylinder.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

Sleeving the cylinders should be no problem for any competent machine shop. Otherwise, it's new block time.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

The only other "satisfactory" fix I can think of is to swap in a junkyard engine.

Once the cylinder walls are holed, the block is junk unless you sleeve it. Period. Next time use a coolant specified for heavy diesels. They have nitrite additives to prevent cavitation damage.

Reply to
Steve

Uh.... he's got cavitation damage. That means that the coolant passages have ALREADY eaten through into the cylinders- boring will only find air!

Reply to
Steve