Republic Brand (China) Tires ?

Hello,

Anyone know anything regarding Repulic Invader Sport tires out of China ?

Are they considered "all-weather" ?

Quality ?

Thanks, B.

Reply to
Bob

typing it into Google it says they are all season tires.

Reply to
m6onz5a

It may be just me, but I won't trust my life to anything made in China. Check the failure rates of everything else they make. Its either poisonous or falls apart.

Reply to
Paul in Houston TX

Paul in Houston TX wrote in news:i7ocf3$ili$ snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org:

Or does the same to some product made from some product...

Reply to
chuckcar

Paul in Houston TX wrote in news:i7ocf3$ili$1 @news.eternal-september.org:

The Red Chinese can make stuff that's just as good as--or better than--that made anywhere else. The catch is that they need to be making it for a Western company, with Western oversight. We provide the intelligence and quality that the Communist system discourages its people from providing for themselves.

Reply to
Tegger

Agreed... the Chinese CAN make good products, but their track record, especially in the specific instance of tires, is not the best. (remember the missing gum strip thing? Wasn't that just last year?) If you want to save money on tires, there's likely options as inexpensive that *aren't* made in China, but IMHO tires aren't the area of your car to be going cheap - in fact, they're about the LAST area where I'd go cheap.

Now, that doesn't mean that there aren't some really crappy tires on the market that *aren't* cheap... the Goodyears that came on my last two company cars, or the Continentals that came on my old GTI from the factory come to mind. But a little research (check out reviews on tirerack.com) should give you some options for your vehicle that won't break the bank but still yield acceptable traction and reliability.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

How about those made in China Firestone tires of a few years ago? No way will I ever buy any made in China tires! Aints ahgonna happen! cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

No, usually it's quite the opposite. Western oversight usually consists of the exporter pushing on the Chinese factory to cut costs as much as possible because their customers want it cheap.

The Shugang vacuum tube factory is mostly known in the west for selling cheap and shoddy parts. However, it turns out that they make some excellent transmitting tubes for the Chinese military. They make them right, because the military demands them to be right. The Western importers don't care if they are right or not.

Just about everything wrong with Chinese production has to do with a combination of unskilled engineering (not production) crew, combined with outside forces to cut costs. The Chinese factories can and do make good quality products when they have external pressure to do so, and engineering support from outside (and that includes real quality control) to do so.

That said, Republic tires are not a good example of fine quality.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

before considering any life-critical component for your vehicle that's been made by the chinese, have a look at the suddenly and significantly increased number of shredded tires you see besides our freeways, correlate that with the time frame from when we started to allow an avalanche of cheap chines crap onto our roads, then make your decision.

the following should also be mandatory reading for anyone considering their business relationships out there.

jim beam

That does it, I'm buying an all American made computer system. Anyone know where I can get one?

Reply to
FatterDumber& Happier Moe

your computer may be assembled in china, but not many of its chips are made there - because most chip manufacturers have learned that their products will be ripped off. [in the old days, you could use a microscope to do this once you'd opened up the capsule. these days, chips are so multi-layer and so nano-scale, you can't do this in any effective time line - you have to rip off the trace diagrams from the chip fab, hence they're made in "safe" locations.]

Reply to
jim beam

One of the things the Chinese have learned to do very, very well is PC board fabrication and stuffing. Honestly, the quality of the board material coming out of China is extremely good.

Consequently we have folks making chips in the US, Japan, and Southeast Asia... shipping them to China to be stuffed on Chinese-made boards with Chinese-made discrete components, then shipped back to the US for final assembly by US manufacturers.

Now, if the Chinese can only get their act together with regard to making ATX power supplies....

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

because it's all automated. which is ridiculous if you think about it - the only real argument for manufacturing in china is cheap labor. where is the labor saving when this stuff is made on a machine??? and when you have a board that starts to delaminate after a couple of years, what may have initially /appeared/ to have been good quality soon shows itself for what it really is.

where they blow up inside 6 months. chinese capacitors anyone?

power supplies are a great example of weakness, apart from the above, where the chinese simply haven't been able to get a clue - fan motor bearings are absolutely abysmal. why? because the chinese can't make steel. and crappy steel means crappy bearings.

why can't they make steel? because it's one thing they can't rip off by getting outsiders to produce there. bearing manufacturers have been reluctant to move there too.

Reply to
jim beam

I think some of the argument is also hazardous material issues.... if you don't have to follow EPA and OSHA requirements you can make epoxy stuff a lot more cheaply.

I have done spot-tests on Chinese boards and actually been pretty happy with them in long-term aging tests. Mind you, long term aging tests don't tell everything, but they're a good first cut. Certainly a lot better than a lot of the stuff coming out of the US a decade ago.

Don't blame the Chinese exclusively... the folks in Taiwan had similar issues from the same bad formula.

It goes beyond the motor bearing issues... the real problems have to do with copying designs vs. actual engineering. Once parts start getting substituted into copied designs, things change. And it takes some actual engineering to know what is changing.

The guys on the production line in a typical Chinese factory were farmers a year ago. The guys working as "engineers" were working on the production line five years ago. So there is a real shortage of people who actually understand what is going on.

I have talked to guys at Chinese factories who didn't know what gauge blocks even were, because nobody had bothered to tell them. They had just learned on the job from someone else who learned on the job. Who probably learned by trying things out until he got something to work.

The real problem is a lack of engineering education more than anything else. The copying is a side-effect of that.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

actually, engineering education in china is first rate. but they're not inventive, and as you say, their skilled labor shortage is acute. hence the need to rip off western technologies because the west de-skilled mass production decades ago and adjusted manufacturing techniques accordingly.

but that still doesn't get around the fact that the chinese can't make steel - and that's because they can't rip off what they can't bribe short-sighted quarter-by-quarter thinking foreign manufacturers to make there. steel is big, expensive, and long term. and the skill is astonishingly non-transferrable. [mind you, when our current generation of old farts retire, their skills will retire with them, and then we'll be no better at it than the chinese.]

Reply to
jim beam

Yes, they can make excellent products but you have to have a firm contract and they have to understand exactly what they must do, and you have to keep oversight over what they are actually doing. Much like Americans in many respects.

That missing strip was a few years ago, I think, but it is an example of their deciding that they weren't going to do that anymore, and not getting caught until the ox was deeply in the ditch.

I bought some high specification Kumho tires last change and they have been excellent. They are supposed to be Korean tires, but I think that the Koreans sub out some of the work to Viet Namh and other Asian countries.

These tires have a high mph rating, long treadlife rating, and have been smooth and balanced. If they continue to perform, I would say that they are a better buy than the Michelins that came on the car.

Reply to
hls

Your computer can't blow out going 70 and probably cause your death. If you want American computers, look for original IBM iron and refurbs from corporations, not the Lenovo models.

Reply to
sctvguy1

dsi1

As far as computers go, I don't know which parts are made in the US and not in China and Asia - including the microprocessors. Most of the Intel processors I've gotten seems to be made in Malaysia, although they may make their fastest processors in the US.

Reply to
dsi1

Made in America Cooper tires.Less that three months ago I bought four new Cooper tires for my 1983 Dodge van. Buy American Made products, when you can. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin