Republic Brand (China) Tires ?

IMHO Kumhos are good, although they likely won't last as long as the Michelins. Hankook, surprisingly enough, has gone from bargain-basement to producing some decent rated race tires in only a decade or so. As far as producing high quality products that match US market desires goes, I think the Koreans are in general far and away ahead of the Chinese, and have almost caught up to the Japanese (Yokohama makes some darn good tires too - not to mention National Panaracer tires have been the choice of cyclists for a long time. Have a set of those on each of my bikes.)

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

I (heart) my original US-made IBM keyboard. Still use it.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Nate Nagel wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news7.newsguy.com:

Does it weigh five pounds and make a really solid "click" with every keypress? I have one of those.

Reply to
Tegger

I have an old IBM keyboard too.I think I remember it clicks. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

My late father-in-law was a old computer guy. I have a bunch of his stuff stored away. How would I go about connecting his old clicky IBM keyboard to my computer? Thanks!

Reply to
dsi1

dsi1 wrote in news:cvzoo.12035$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe04.iad:

If it doesn't have a ps/2 connection you're probably out of luck. (that's the plug *before* USB - the small round one about 1/2" in diameter). I don't recall there being adapters for the larger plugs. You

*could* ask at a computer store (*not* best buy or some crap like that, I *real* computer store with actual parts) while bringing in the keyboard.

If you only have USB plugs and no ps/2 for mouse and/or keyboard, you'd be out of luck without replacing the motherboard.

Reply to
chuckcar

If the connector on it is a large DIN (ie. it's a Type R keyboard or the like), you get a DIN to mini-DIN adaptor and then a PS/2 keyboard interface to USB box.... total cost should be around $15 from Newegg or so.

If the connector on it is a big flat thing (ie. it's a keyboard off a 3270) or a DB-15 (ie. it's off a 3101), you can still use them but with some more substantial cut and paste work.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

Thanks for the info, it has the big DIN plug. This is old stuff. :-) I have a RAM board with something less than 1 M of memory that's huge and as I recall cost around $700. Kids and people in the future probably will have a hard time believing the crudeness of the stuff we had to work with. :-)

Reply to
dsi1

Thanks for the info. It has the big DIN. I got the adapter for the plug but not the keyboard interface. I didn't know of their existence. Will order one and get back to you if I run into any trouble. Thanks a lot!

Reply to
dsi1

Well, I dont think that the longevity will be the issue in this case. The Michelins were down to the wear bars in less than 30,000 miles. The Kumhos are rated at about 70,000 miles, and I have already put 20,000 on them. So far, the Kumhos are showing no signs of aggressive wear.

Now, the disclaimer is that the original Michelins were high speed tires made of a softer compound that gave excellent grip but little life.. Porsche mentality. The Kumhos have the high speed rating as well, but are a more durable rubber compound.

Price on the Kumhos was slightly lower than the OEM Michelins.

Reply to
hls

After some research, it appears that I have a couple of IBM model F, XT keyboards. Unfortunately, they cannot be used with systems in use today although somebody probably has a black box that can interface it. I will be on the lookout for one of those. Thanks!

Reply to
dsi1

Check with

and
If they don't sell the adapter you need, maybe they know who does. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

How to connect an old IBM keyboard to a new computer You can do it, I think. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

Doesn't help you, but if you have one of the later "Model M" keyboards with either an AT or PS/2 connector, you can connect it to a USB port with an adapter, although if you still have a PS/2 connector on your computer that is preferable for various technical reasons. Not all PS/2 to USB connectors are created equal, however. I have a couple "ZioTek" ones that do work with the Model M. see clickykeyboards.com for more details (where I found the adapters to make 'em work.)

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

XT keyboards send different sequences than AT keyboards, yes. There used to be a swap-out of the 8048 processor in those to turn them into AT keyboards, but that was a long time ago.

Put them on Ebay and the retrocomputing guys will buy them.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

There are (or at least were) AT to PS/2 keyboard adapters to adapt the old-stype large plug to the smaller PS/2 socket. PS/2 to USB keyboard and mouse adapters are readily available.

Reply to
Roger Blake

dsi1 wrote in news:DOLoo.8600$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe15.iad:

Yup, that's the only other type. I like them better - beefier contruction.

I had a old 386DX40 that I *bought* the RAM chips to bring it up to 2MB and installed them myself. One by one into the motherboard. Good thing there wasn't a lightning strike then or I wouldn't be typing right now. Ground straps you know. Absolutely required for such.

Reply to
chuckcar

Roger Blake wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org:

Ok, I wasn't sure. Thanks.

Reply to
chuckcar

I've seen excellent tread life from more pedestrian Michelins, but you're right, sport oriented tires do tend to wear out quite quickly.

nate

Reply to
N8N