Rim database

Is there a database somewhaere to check rim bolt patterns and sizes against which vehicles had what. I am looking for 16" rims for a 5 X

4.5 bolt pattern and want to know what vehicle had them. I am building a trailer and want to use dodge mini van axles and 16" tires I already have. Thanks
Reply to
mark

You'll have a really hard time finding 16" wheels with a 5 on

4.5" pattern. Last ones I can think of were the 16 x 5 (sometimes 16 x 5.5" or 6") Dodge/Fargo pickup wheels up until the early '70s. "Split rims," they were called, but weren't really. Had removable rings. Split rims had the split down the actual center of the wheel. A real pain. WWII sort of stuff. Terminology: "Wheels" are what you are looking for. A wheel has a center plate of some sort. A rim has no center plate, and is usually mounted on a spoked hub using clamps like you might see on really old cars and a lot of modern logging trucks. The spoked hub is the "wheel" in this case. An automobile wheel has a rim, but it isn't called a rim. It's a wheel because it has a center plate. 5 x 4.5" pattern was used on Ford cars until mid-70s and on Dodges. I think Chrysler still uses it. Many light utility/boat/camper trailers use it.

Dan (spent the '70s selling thousands of truck, earthmover and auto wheels and brake parts)

Reply to
Dan_Thomas_nospam

Hold the bus! I forgot something! International Harvester half-ton trucks used 16" wheels on 5 x 4.5" patterns. Not split, either. Rather narrow in the early years (4.5"), wider later on. Ideal for trailer wheels. I've seen them on those trucks as late as the late '60s, and they might have used them right up until they went out of production in about '76. Older country junkyards (in farming areas) should have some. Watch for the left-hand threads on the left-side wheel nuts. I need to find some more myself, as the wheels I have aren't that good and run a little eccentric. Didn't matter much in 1951 on a truck that might never see pavement and couldn't go any faster than 45 mph. Why didn't I remember that? I spent three years restoring my '51 International L-110 that I drive to work every day. Getting old and forgetful, I suppose.

Dan

Reply to
Dan_Thomas_nospam

I am looking for wheels, found a data base online, some dodge grand minivans used a 16 X 7 with 5 X 4.5 bolt pattern.

Reply to
mark

I think this answers your question:

. Best site I've found so far. HTH, sdlomi2

Reply to
sdlomi2

Thanks, that site is great.

Reply to
mark

I have a rim/wheel database website, it's up but I still have alot of vehicles to add. The site is called rimhelp.com check it out, I should be done adding data by May if I don't already have it now. Adam

Reply to
ajwmapping