rounded nut, bolt removal

While replacing the power steering pump I rounded the tube nut. I tried two different brands of tube wrenches and both kept rounding the nut more. I found a tool that easily removed the now rounded nut. Vicegrip wrench. Made by same people that makes Vicegrip pliers. This tool has a heavy duty three sided head to grip a nut or bolt. After gripping the damaged nut securely, I pulled as hard as i could and the nut came off. The wrench did not slip once. This is great for rounded nuts and and can replace a tube wrench set. It cost about $12.00. Got it at Westlakes hardware. The NAPA store didn't know what I was talking about.

Reply to
J J

Next time clamp some vice grips over the head of your flare nut wrench before you start. This will keep your flare nut wrench from "spreading" which I've had happen to me more than once before someone told me to do this.

good luck,

nate

Reply to
N8N

================ Crow foot flare nut wrenches work well also, and are sometimes better in areas of limited clearance.

Reply to
Daniel

Damn, you beat me to it.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

I surfed and found the wrench the OP speaks of. Actually, I can see his point, this wrench seems to be a very good tool for rounded nuts, moreso than a straight-jaw Vise Grip. [Of which, IMO, every toolbox should have a ViseGrip wrench]

Reply to
Knifeblade_03