RPM in N Or Park, When Gas Pedal Depressed Fully ?

Hello,

Have a 2009 Buick LaCrosse.

I have probably not looked at this recently, but when I put the gearshift into either N or P, and depress the gas pedal to the floor, the indicated RPM never goes above 3,500.

Is this normal ? If not, what might it indicate ?

I "seem to" remember that it would go to about 6,000 when I did this previously, but I may be wrong about that.

Car seems to drive normally.

Thanks for help, as always, Bob

Reply to
Bob

I think every car has a rev limiter these days. 3500 sounds about right.

Reply to
Bill Vanek

I would expect the engine redline to be around 6000. Every car I've had would rev up to redline (or higher) some have a rev limiter that prevent them from going more then a couple hundred over "redline". I've never run into a car that was limited to 3500 in N or P. I"m guessing something isn't right with your car. 3500 is about where most cars up shift at part throttle so unless you have been flooring it while you are driving you may not be going over 3500. Floor it form a stoplight and see if it will go over 3500.. it should go to redline and shift.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

I rent cars often for work / travel. Sometimes one per week. All in the last 6 years or so max out at 3500-4000 rpm in N-P. My 2006 Kia spectra maxes at 4000. Most will max at 6000-6500 in low gear.

Reply to
Paul in Houston TX

It drives normally... but it doesn't go over 3,500 rpm.... so my guess is that the tachometer is malfunctioning.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

Take it out and floor it. Does it accelerate normally or is it sluggish? How far did the tach go?

OR toss a real scan tool on it and see what it says the rpms are.

Reply to
Steve W.

I guess I've not tried revving up any thing that new.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

Scott Dorsey wrote: "- show quoted text - It drives normally... but it doesn't go over 3,500 rpm.... so my guess is that the tachometer is malfunctioning.

--scott

Reply to
thekmanrocks