safety of projector headlights?

Those small projector headlights on a lot of Acuras, BMWs, etc. are supposed to give a brighter, focused beam that helps the driver, but what about other people's ability to see you? Being seen can be as important as seeing the road. A lot of times they look like evil snake eyes that don't really want to be noticed.

From a distance on an empty road it can be harder to judge approach time when you're used to a fatter profile. In a rainstorm I mistook a pair for two motorcycles much farther away. In fog or snow I wouldn't want projector headlights even if they allowed me to see a little better. Do they even work better for the driver in fog? They are also dimmer than standard headlights when not seen straight on. They look high tech but aren't they less safe from a "being seen" perspective?

Kurt

Reply to
Kurt

Don't know where you read or heard that; it's not necessarily true. There are good and bad projector headlamps, and good and bad reflector headlamps (and good and bad HID Xenon headlamps, and good and bad tungsten-halogen headlamps). There are headlamps of all types that produce focused beams, and headlamps of all types that produce diffuse beams.

What about it? There are conspicuity requirements in the headlamp regulations in force worldwide such that frontal vehicle conspicuity at night or in bad weather is seldom a real problem, if ever.

Very true.

I cannot imagine where you've been hanging out that you would not by this late date be "used to" the visual signature of projector headlamps, which have been commonplace on roads worldwide for nearly two decades.

It sounds as though you ought to pay better attention.

The odds are good that you *would* want projector headlamps in such a situation, for they can be made so as to produce less upward stray light that bounces off rain, fog and snow and causes backdazzle in bad weather.

They can, depending on optical design.

Not sure what you're trying to say here -- it's not true as written.

No.

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

Lights play an important role in the well being of our cars. A vehicle without any car light can be dangerous to drive especially at night. It includes the headlights, taillights, corner lights, parking lights, warning lights, side markers lights and so on.

B.J. at

Auto Mechanic

Two pinpricks of light stand out less than two standard thick beams unless they shine right into your eyes, like a laser pointer that only causes pain when it catches you full on. I found a photo that shows what I mean. The parking lights are actually brighter than the mains when seen indirectly.

"Used to" means what I normally see, which is a lot more standard beams. If a car with projector lights is partially hidden or there's congestion it's not as obvious what you're looking at. I've seen auxiliary lights on campers and trucks that look brighter from an angle than projector lights.

Rainstorm. Low visibility. Tiny headlights. Harder to see oncoming cars with them. Harder to see them in normal conditions, too. Not impossible, just not as bright or "fat" from the viewing perspective.

It's the same thing I was describing above with that photo. Standard lights and reflectors create a uniform "fat" area you can see easier in the distance. There is a glare effect that makes the light less directional and the beam looks more robust at the front end of the car. If they made one out of ten STOP signs only half size they'd be harder to see as well.

Kurt

Reply to
Kurt

Generic tip noted but already understood.

Kurt

Reply to
Kurt

I do notice a lot of projectors blind you when they hit the retina dead center. It can look like the driver has their brights on. But away from 90 degrees they get dimmer and dimmer to the viewer.

Kurt

Reply to
Kurt

I think what you're trying to say here is that headlamps that produce a sharp cutoff at the top of their low beam can produce relatively high glare when the car goes over a bump in the road or is pointed upward relative to the horizontal. That is true. But it's not a phenomenon limited to projector lamps.

Here: