Car headlights

Has something happened to my eyes, or are they all insanely bright these days? And do some of them change colour slightly, like a prism? I find
myself constantly dipping the rear view mirror now when I go out at night.
On 20/04/2015 11:11, Etaoin Shrdlu wrote:

Yes, the blue tinted ones are a bloody nuisance.
And do some of them change colour slightly, like a prism? I find

I'm glad I have tinted glass in the rear windows, that does help, and sometimes I can manage without dipping. Badly adjusted headlights are another problem with oncoming cars.
Yes, I've had my cataracts done, and been rated 20/20 by my optometrist.
--
Gordon H

Remove Invalid to reply
On 20/04/2015 13:06, Gordon H wrote:

the prismatic effect of xenon light can sometimes make the xenon headlights look bright blue, and on a bumpy road they can, at least momentarily appear to be emergency vehicle lights. The latest trend is LED lights, which is all very well but the human eye does react well to direct view of LED and they can cause real eye ball pain and direct viewing is not advisable (same goes for xenon). So how either of these systems have been allowed to be put in to mass usage is questionable at best.
On 20/04/2015 13:40, Mrcheerful wrote:

I've seen plenty of deliberately fitted blue LED side lights on non emergency cars. Plod don't seem to take any notice of it at all.
On 20/04/2015 13:51, Don wrote:

The legal position is that they are allowed as long as they don't flash. Xenon lights can and do give a flashing effect which can include blue.
On 20/04/2015 13:40, Mrcheerful wrote:

should say: does NOT react well to led and xenon
On 20/04/2015 13:52, Mrcheerful wrote:

That's how I read it, in context. ;-)
LED lighting is also being employed for street lighting, and in the home, I suppose the jury's still out on those applications...
--
Gordon H

Remove Invalid to reply
On 20/04/2015 15:36, Gordon H wrote:

I have a pure white led light in my office. It takes a bit of getting used to.

I'm willing to bet it isn't pure white. That would be a mixture of all the visible colours of the rainbow - something LED isn't good at.
--
*A picture may be worth a thousand words, but it uses up a thousand times more memory.

White LED's are indeed actually in the blue spectrum.
You could of course make up a variable colour light covering the full spectrum using just RGB LED's. This would give true white.

That'd give you red green & blue. If you shine it on orange then it'll probably look different which s why most white leds cheat & use a phosphor & a blue led to get something approaching a true white light. Of course then you need to decide what you mean by that.

Sadly, not. single colour LEDS produce a very narrow spike of light at a specific freguency. Combining them may appear white, but still leaves holes in the spectrum.
--
*A hangover is the wrath of grapes.

On 20/04/2015 15:36, Gordon H wrote:

Street and home lighting is generally not a problem as the light sources are usually above the eyeline. I cannot see why there is such a rush to convert street lights, the old sodium ones put out more light per watt input and the light is more restful on the eye and gives better contrast, hence improved visibility in fog and movement shows up better.
On 20/04/2015 16:39, Mrcheerful wrote:

Sodium lamps replaced white street lighting as it was cheaper. There is evidence that violence shot up when the yellow lamps were turned on in the 60s.
On 20/04/2015 17:00, Don wrote:

Don't blame it on the sunshine Don't blame it on the moonlight Don't blame it on the street lamps Blame it on the Boogie.
    * Michael Jackson - 1978
--
Gordon H

Remove Invalid to reply
On 20/04/2015 16:39, Mrcheerful wrote:

I can remember when car fog lamps were amber and I had to walk along the kerb whilst Dad followed my shadowy figure at tricky junctions...
--
Gordon H

Remove Invalid to reply
On 20/04/2015 17:40, Gordon H wrote:

I have only once encountered fog where it was practically speaking impossible to drive on an unlit B road, it was early 70's and I quite literally was leaning out of the window of an HB Viva trying to keep the opposite verge in sight while keeping a look out in case anything else was daft enough to be on the road, the nearside verge was impossible to see from the driver's seat, literally tick over in first was as fast as was vagualy safe. I was very pleased to reach street lighting at the edge of the village without going down a ditch or hitting anything.
On 20/04/2015 17:57, Mrcheerful wrote:

When I was commuting between Sheffield and Bakewell I'd get that near-zero visibility a few times a year - Stony Ridge Road, S17 typically.
I'd not needed fog lights as such before then, so can't really judge. But the ones on my BMW Mini were utterly useless, and of course the Xenon headlights just reflected everything back. At night, it was even marginal with the sidelights, although being seen meant of course they had to be on.
--
Cheers, Rob

Projector lights have been around for about 20 years, and Xenons for about 15. Even LEDs have been around for ~5 or so...