small engine: crankcase gasket

I have a small 2-cycle engine w/ a split crankcase. What would be a good gasket material? In particular, can I use Permatex #1, which I happen to have?

Thanks, George

Reply to
George

I'm thinking that there is a particular Loctite product that is intended to be rolled on with a velour roller, Porsche uses it. Unfortunately there's no possible way I'm going to remember the number, and I am at work where I don't have access to my Porsche FSMs...

nate

Reply to
N8N

I think you're better off with the thicker, foaming stuff rather than #1. But give the #1 a try... worst case it'll leak and you'll have to scrape it off. This is not a super high-pressure application here.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

I do alot ot 2 strokes and "have" used quite a few different sealers. The best I've found is loctite "gelseal". Slightly spendy and enough in one tube to do 100 times more than what you want but the best I've found in some 35 years of doing this sort of thing. Will

Reply to
will350

Reply to
Shep