SMOG people kicked me out

I engine started smoking alot after a oil and filter change (1981 merc sel 380) and before I can complete a smog test, they stop it because of smoke. without a failed certificate, I am in nomans lands in state of california. They have programs for failed but not incomplete. A engine repair is to expensive. should i refill the engin with 60 w oil for the test? for all quotes there is an equally opposite quote

Reply to
Askari

well if it is the same as it is in BC (canada) they have the right to not test because of smoke even if it will pass all the emmissions tests. i would get some thicker oil and try again

-Andrew Smit-

Reply to
Andrew Smit

snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnojuunk (Askari) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@mb-m03.aol.com:

Why don't you check to see if oil is getting on the hot exhaust.. or check for other leaks before any intensive engine repair and before using 60wt oil.

its usually the simple things.. like double gasketed oil filters, leaking valve covers...etc

Reply to
Death

Why don't you try the transmission oil in the engine trick. There are several variations:

Get auto transmission oil or top cylinder cleaner from the Chevy dealer. Take out the spark plugs. Pour transmission oil into each cylinder. Maybe quarter of a cup. Hand rotate the engine to work it into the rings. Best to even leave it overnight. Here is the most important part: Use a turkey bastard to suck all the oil out or rotate the engine several complete rotations to get most of the oil out, then ground the sparkplug high tension wire, and crank the engine for a few seconds to get the remaining oil out. Reinstall sparkplugs and drive. Engine will be burning the transimission oil for a good ten minutes so expect lot and lots of smoke. I drove my truck in the middle of the night so it was not so obvious. The smoke was so thick I had to slow down when I did a u-turn and drove throught it again.

Second variation is to pour water into the engine manifold while is running. I thought the first trick is better.

Ben

Reply to
Benjamin Lee

Where was the smoke coming from? If it was a small oil leak on the outside of the engine, clean off the engine with BrakeKleen just before taking it in.

No. I know it sounds obvious, but you need to fix whatever is causing it to smoke. Emissions have become so tight in CA that there is very little room to fudge.

It's too bad they couldn't complete the test and give you the emissions readings.. Those are good to have.

__________________ Note: To reply, replace the word 'spam' embedded in return address with 'mail'. N38.6 W121.4

Reply to
Barry S.

"Benjamin Lee" wrote in news:rjTSb.149655$ snipped-for-privacy@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net:

This doesn't actually solve his problem.. I think he's trying to stop the smoking problem, not create more.

Reply to
Death

You're not in no-man's land. You have no "Pass" certificate and no "Fail" certificate, which means you're right back where you started before the aborted smog check. All you need to do is go take your car, after fixing it so it doesn't smoke, in for a smog check. Where's the mystery?

Then discard the car and get another, or swap in a used engine. The entire reason for the existence of the Smog-Check program is to get gross polluters like your car OFF the road.

Fuck you. We all have to breathe what you put out. It's not our fault you bought a car you can't afford to maintain.

This doesn't make any sense.

DS

Reply to
Daniel J Stern

I did a complete steam wash all around for leaks and there are none. I do know the valve guides are letting oil in though. for all quotes there is an equally opposite quote

Reply to
Askari

I wanted a failed test for all the programs that the state offered for extentions and financial help. Never thought I would wish for a failed certificate. But it would make my day today. Right of the bat I would get two years. for all quotes there is an equally opposite quote

Reply to
Askari

Final point I believe trashing this car that is perfect in all respects will be more pollution when I want a new car, which uses resources and that pollutes more and its not recycling. But I guess if its not in Calif. who gives a damn, (sarcasm) for all quotes there is an equally opposite quote

Reply to
Askari

engin is steamed cleaned for leak inspections. I don,t mind there right to boot me, but I do ming not getting any official paperwork for the state. My standards are so low for happiness that a failed certificate would make my day. I mean it (not sarcasim) cause the state has wavers and help for me then. for all quotes there is an equally opposite quote

Reply to
Askari

By the time you drive to the smog shop, even 60 weight oil should be thin enough to leak. And if not, the new california smog test runs your car on a dyno long enough to heat it up.

Got any idea where it is leaking? As in you might get lucky by adding enough Marvel Mystery or similar to seal whatever is leaking?

BTW, there is an appeal procedure for smog tests, with a maximum repair that they can make you do in order to pass before you can get a one time waiver. Check the CARB website and be prepared to spend time at a CARB test station. At worst, maybe you can get the pittance offered for removing smoggy cars from the road.

Reply to
L0nD0t.$t0we11

Is the smoke coming from the exhaust, or somewhere else?

Reply to
L0nD0t.$t0we11

He's talking about the $480 Consumer Assistance Program (CAP) for low-income folks who have a vehicle without a modified or missing emission parts but has a "failed certificate." No certificate, no assistance. If he qualifies he gets a new engine installed that can cost him $1200, for example, but he only pays $720.

The "F" word could scare away a newbie.

Personally, I qualified for the $480 program. I refused to accept the payment. I didn't like the idea of taking money from the poor when I can fixed it on my own. But considering the facts, not all poor folks on the street deserve it, I'm not saying who.

Those who really deserve it are a single immigrant mother with three or more kids with potential to contribute to humanity or to anyone who will contribute to society in a positive way. More like how I grew up.

Tibur

Reply to
Tibur Waltson

I am sure I pollute alot with a anual milage of less than 2000 miles.

I pass of on the language part but the car was givin to me because mine burned up in a brush fire that I was the first to see and control till I could get help. The car was a total loss. Not many people can suddenly lose a car and spring back the next day with another one. So someone gave be a car so I can plan and save for another one. It is the second biggest purchase for most people in their life where overnight planning is not enough. Most of the world can,t go out and buy a car like you on short notice and condeming will not make it happen.

You need to be have knowledge of quotes to know this one. Maybe this will help if you have not become gaurded by now. Although I know you are angry since you did not try to understand my of f topic stuff either. Look befor you leap is the oppisite of he who hesitates is lost

Reply to
David Askari

I had only driven the car 1500 miles from the previous test and it only got bad (poluting) after a oil and filture change. I kick myself for being service savvy.

I foung out that the sell your car program was cancelled during my final application. And you must have a failed smog before the state will even talk to you. Cars smog better warmed up I heard but it a mute issue. It the last two years I did save and buy a car but when I changed the oil and put in w20.50 the camshaft froze and did its associated damage in a aluminum head and overhead cam seated directly. So the guy with the f word is quick to judge ( because he does not know these hardships personally)

I don,t know how far down should I go in the US with being poor. The imigrent mother of 3 in pretty poor and by that I should be gratefull, but one can go farther if I look at the poor I seen when I lived abroad. But I not sure if that,s the right approach. I would not take the 400 dollars because it would not solve the problem. A rebuilt on this car is 7000 dollars by the way. The car was a gift for the sudden loss of mine during a fire I was containing nearby.

Reply to
David Askari

I had a similar problem once with a 1970 Ambassador my wife had. She had "inherited" the car from her father who was not a big advocate of oil changes. No leaks but it smoked a lot for a low mileage vehicle. The oil returns under the valve cover gaskets were mostly clogged and the oil pooled up around the guides, got sucked in and burned. I only discovered this when replacing the valve cover gaskets. I reamed out the returns as best I could, ran some Wynns engine flush through it, and then changed the oil and filter. Problem was about 90% fixed. I guess the little bit that was left was from worn guides. Something to consider anyway. FWIW YMMV DFB

Reply to
D F Bonnett

no, its from the exhaust especially after sitting and its blueish, the benz poeple said the main thing here is the valve guides but repainring that could cause it to seep out other areas that are old. It over a 1000 dollars to start with valve job but no quarantee on old engins. for all quotes there is an equally opposite quote

Reply to
Askari

Smoking always tend to develop, especially after and oil change. Mechanic friends have told me that using thick grade synthetic oil stops smoke. Could be a myth, could be true.

Another told me that if you make more than $1200 in repairs, you could qualify for one year waiver. Check the DMV site for accuracy.

You might want to replace the valve stem seals and any O-rings on the head - much less expensive. The "Stop Smoke" formula have been tried and failed.

Being financially challenged due to a disaster should require assistance, or relief aids since most of us don't really plan for a rainy or fire day.

I'm in big debt myself and it's very cost effective to operate a Honda with $50 annual maintenance at 270K miles. Liability is $25/month. Make sure the Honda is fuel injected,

180 psi compression, and high mileage. This will get you a low price car that'll last forever.

Carburetors models tend to blow a head gasket.

Tibur Waltson

Reply to
Tibur Waltson

As far as I could tell, there were two such programs. The one administered by the Bureau of Automotive Repair has been cancelled, apparently due to the state's budget woes:

The one from the California Air Resources Board is still in effect. However, it may not apply to you unless you can get your smoke under control, as the vehicle must have passed its most recently required smog check in order to be eligible. (The goal is to remove older, presumably more-polluting, but still-in-service cars from the fleet

*in advance* of normal attrition, not to make the no longer roadworthy old crock behind the barn worth $500. I guess that show-stopping inability to pass the smog test is considered to be normal attrition, and/or in the bailiwick of the other department.) For more information, see
Best of luck,

--Joe

Reply to
Ad absurdum per aspera