Engine quieter after oil change.

In every car I have owned the engine sounds quieter at idle just after an oil change. But why? If the engine oil is good for 3000 miles or 3 months shouldn't the sounds be the same.?

Reply to
J J

What kind of cars are these?

Do you let it get 2-3 quarts low between changes? Do you check the level between changes?

Don

Donald Lewis

i have noticed this same phenomenom after oil changes, also. is it really a placebo effect or is there really a difference? the only time i didn't notice a change was with the 440 Dart that i used to drive.

bob z.

Reply to
bob zee

Part of it probably relates the the notable drop in sound level when you finally get oil pressure 5 or 6 seconds after the start once the oil filter has filled.

Pete C.

Reply to
Pete C.

Reply to
Shep

I'm thinking he couldn't hear the valvetrain over the exhaust. I know that if *I* had a 440 Dart that would be the case

nate

Shep wrote:

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Fixed it...

Reply to
aarcuda69062

it was a 1973 Dodge Dart Swinger - 2-door. it started life as a 225 slant-six. a 318 fell into it and stayed for exactly one year.

440 went in with 9:1 compression 750 holley vacuum secondary edelbrock torker II intake 906 casting heads 2.14/1.81 valves first cam: mopar performance purple .484 lift (don't remember the duration) second cam: mopar performance purple .509 / 292=B0 third cam (not to be bitten by the junk purple cams and wiped lobes): compcams mechanical .495 / 282=B0 this compcam was MEAN. 2" under-chassis headers
- theseheaders required some careful useage of wrenches, sockets, extensions,swivels and double-jointed arms for spark plug replacement. oh yeah,don't even think about changing the starter without pulling the enginefirst. how many starters did i go through before i bought a good one?you don't want to know...727 torqueflite with reverse pattern manual valve body (not for streetuse - yeah, right). 3500 rpm 10" GER converter 3=2E23 geared 8.75" sure-grip rearend (tried a 3.91 for a little while - too much gear)

i drove this car daily for a year straight. snow, wind, rain, blizzard, etc. the manual valve body helped with the starts on slick surfaces - put it in second, still spin? put it in third! it was a very fun car to drive and as dependable as anything out there. i regularly spun it to 6500rpm. crusing at 30mph in second gear and then stomping the gas pedal was always a nice way to clean the rear tires...

bob z.

Reply to
bob zee