So our Alero met the Curb

Hi guys

So, first major snowfall in Co Springs. No salt trucks or plows so the roads were pretty slick. We were taking a corner, lost traction, and the left side of the car met the curb rear end first. Now the rear driver side tire is bent, like it is slightly turning left to be specific. Now I know next to nothing about cars. We were wondering what exactly we bent and rough estimate of how much it would be to fix. Any info is helpful...Thanks guys!

Here are some pictures of the damage...I have pictures of the damage and the undamaged sides for comparison. View the attachments for this post at:

rmsace13

Well the lower control arm is OBVIOUSLY bent. No telling what all else might be bent, but not obviously so. I'd be amazed if that aluminum wheel weren't bent pretty good too, that must have been one hell of a hard whack to bend the steel control arm like that, or else the design of that long control arm is inherently very weak.

You're not going to get a definitive answer here with people just looking at pictures and guessing. Take it to a shop.

Reply to
Steve

Skip the body shop & take it to a frame shop. They can either bend that arm back or simply replace it. I would guess you should get out for about $1000 including a new wheel if needed.

Reply to
E. Meyer

I'm going to guess the wheel bearing is damaged. It might take awhile to get bad enough though. my own personal hitting of a curb, bent a steel rim and the bearing started making a different noise. I let the bearing be until it started making a noise I didn't like years later (most of which I drove the car A LOT less), then I replaced it. (RWD, solid axle with leaf springs)

true. only way to know is to get in there and start taking it apart.

Reply to
Brent

tierods may be bent as well

Reply to
m6onz5a

rmsace13 skrev:

My first thought, looking at your pictures, is what kind of tires do you have? They don't look like snow tires...

I would remove the wheel, which also gives you a chance to inspect the inside of the rim, and take a good look at your control arms. My guess is that the rearmost is bent, which is why you have three wheel steering, but if you're lucky that would be it.

To straighten it out heat it up with a blow torch and hit it with a sledge hammer, then be sure to rust proof it afterwards. This after removing it, of course.

Ulf

Reply to
Ulf

-CC

Reply to
ChrisCoaster

at:

________________________ >Toed out like that it should definitely cause a crooked steering wheel >- that is, the wheel, when straight ahead, will settle into a 10 or 11 >o'clock position.

Yeah, but at least the Caster still looks good!!

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

Uhm, rear wheels do not possess caster. But a bad toe out like that in the rear will result in aforementioned crooked steeringwheel. Actually, toe off in either direction, in the front or rear, will result in a crooked s.w. at straight ahead.

-CC

Reply to
ChrisCoaster