PICS: Remembering the 1984 Chrysler Minivans

Think of what the automotive landscape looked like nigh on 25 years ago. Mentioning "family car" in 1983 would have conjured a station wagon. Some of us dig wagons, while others think we're daft because of the stigma they still carry. There's no denying that a wagon is an excellent way to transport kids and stuff, but those beasts of yesteryear often led to yearnings for an alternative. We all remember getting carsick while sitting in the rear-facing third row torture chamber, cut off from the rest of the family and their future-looking vantage point. The tailgunner position was a great way to test out new hand gestures on following motorists, though.

When the Chrysler minivans were revealed to the world in 1983 as 1984 models, they were a revelation. The Caravan and Voyager were not the first vans based on compact chassis, but they were such a successful combination of the elements that sales took off and imitators sprang up only after Chrysler had firmly established its status as the segment trendsetter. View the attachments for this post at:

JLA

That brought back memories. I bought one of the first 1984 Dodge Minivans. Kept it until I traded it in on a 1997 Dodge Minivan. Kept that one until I traded it on the current 2008 Dodge SXT Minivan. Over 350,000 miles all together.

Reply to
QX