Speed Sensor Replaced~Now What?

I've just finished replacing my vehicle speed sensor on my '94 Buick Century due to erratic shifting/broken speedometer. Still no good! The speedo still doesn't register (its dead on 0, just as if the car is shut off) and of course the odometer doesn't work. The trans still shifts, but its not right, particularly when going down hills. Is there any thing else I can check? The wiring to the vss looked fine, not brittle or frayed. There was no check engine light on, even before I replaced the vss. The light does work, however, on startup. I'm at a total loss...could this be something as simple as the cable? I was told this car doesn't have one, but I can't seem to get a straight answer..by the way, this car has the 3.1 engine w/ 4 speed auto w/overdrive. has currently 46k miles (original) ...thanks for any input! The Doctor

Reply to
The Doctor

Hey Doc,

Sounds like one of the wires from the speed sensor, that goes back to the computer is open. Get an ohmeter, a schematic of the car, and check continuity from the sensor connector back to the computer connector/harness. Check for corroded contacts also at both ends. The speed sensor input will have a direct affect on the engine/trans and other...explaining the bad performance you stated.

Reply to
Kadaro

I checked to wires at the sensor end & they were fine....look like they're getting good contact, but I'll take a meter to them. You wouldn't think this would be cable-related though? Thanks for the ideas~The Doctor

Reply to
The Doctor