Stalls on left turns

I have a 1991 Mazda MPV with 170,000 miles. It's a 4 cyl. with standard transmission. In the last few months it has started bogging down when we turn left. It doesn't have to be a hard left but also occurs on left curves while the van is still moving. It never does it when we turn right.

We took it to our Mazda dealership a couple of months ago when the problem started. They were able to reproduce the problem but could not diagnose it. Since then we've found that if we keep the gas tank pretty full it doesn't seem to happen. (We also started putting Heet in with each tank most of the time but not all. The problem seems to be more related to the gas tank level.) Once the tank gets down close to half-full or less the problem comes back. It seems to be a little worse lately because the engine now sometimes bogs down from a start and occassionally dies. However, it starts back up without problem.

Does anyone have any idea what this might be?

Thank you.

Reply to
djblev

Sounds like the pickup in the tank. When you don't have enough gas in tank and you take a turn, the gas flows to one side and the pickup can't suck up the gas. Once you've come to a stop, the pickup is back in the gas and it starts up. Sounds like your Mazda dealership isn't the brightest crayon in the box.

-Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Chang

Hi, Grease monkeys at dealership are of high IQ. They can't figure out simple no brainer. Tony

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Thanks, Bruce. I don't know what the "pickup" is. I assume if it breaks it just has to be replaced? What could cause it to break? Is it something mechanical that can wear out or made from a material that eventually degrades in gas or on exposure to air?

Thanks.

Dan

Reply to
djblev

Dan, the pickup is merely a tube that acts like a straw for a drink.. It helps the fuel pump draw the gas from the bottom of the tank. If the pickup is gone, then the fuel pump can only draw from the lowest point of where the pickup tube broke. Chances are the tube is either broken or there's a crack/hole in the tube that isn't allowing the vacuum of the fuel pump to suck the gas up. If this continues the fuel pump will eventually burnout if it's starved for fuel for too long. Most pickups are made of plastic, metal or rubber. All are designed to withstand gas. Hope that helps,

-Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Chang

Bruce,