Strange tire wear

75 Chev 3/4 ton van.

The vehicle has started wearing the inside of the right rear tire. It is so bad that it produces very noticable wear in only a few hundred miles.

There is, of course, a solid rear axle, so I don't see how there can be any "alignment" issues. Springs, etc. look OK.

Thoughts?

Thanks.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Foster

Ouch, that means either the axle tubes are bent or the outer bearing is toast.

Has anyone jacked the vehicle up by the pumpkin to change tires lately?

Hit any curbs?

Of road it much?

Mike

Jerry Foster wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Bent rim or bad tire?

Reply to
John S.

Of course, there can be alignment issues. Some rear suspensions have provisions for alignment, on some others the axle or frame may have to be bent back into specification.

As others have mentioned, there could be other issues as well.

Reply to
<HLS

It generally gets jacked from under the spring. It's eaten a couple tires on a couple different rims. It gets run mostly on rough, steep back mountain roads that pound it pretty bad. But it recently made a 300 mile freeway trip and wore the tire notably on that run...

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Foster

I would be measuring side to side then to see. Just like doing toe in for the steering, you can run a tape measure from the seam in the tire tread on the front of the tires side to side, then measure to this same seam on the back side of the tires. They must be even, if not, then I would jack it up to see if the bad tire flops around on a bad axle bearing, if ok then I would look for the hit mark that bent the sucker.

Mike

Jerry Foster wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

I'd have an alignment check it. No point doing repairs until you know what the cause is.

Reply to
Spam Hater