98 Stratus Seat Swap

Anyone know if the driver and passenger seats in the 4-door '98 Stratus are interchangeable? The 8-yr-old driver's seat is no longer supportive on its left side (both bottom and back cushions, rather uncomfortable) but the passenger seat is in new condition. (I would have the folks at the local garage do the work with the proper tools.) Thanks, much appreciated!

Reply to
topgun

That would put the recliner lever on the right side, against the console which may not fit. Would it be possible to have the seat rebuilt by an upholstery shop? I had this done a few years ago for about $75. They replaced the seat and back cushioning, and the seat was like new afterwards.

-Kirk Matheson

Reply to
kmatheson

Great idea, thanks! I'll call up the local shops and see what they say.

Reply to
topgun

Reply to
philthy

That's what I was afraid of. I checked with my friendly garage this morning; a little research turned up the

*possibility* of assembling a new seat for me, but it would cost about $1000.

They also mentioned the risk in salvage yard parts, i.e. one must do a thorough inspection to ensure that everything is in good working order (I guess not weakened or otherwise damaged in a prior incident, etc.)

I'll check as suggested previously into having the seat rebuilt, and if that's not an option, I'll just have to look into acquiring a newer Stratus ;)

Thanks all.

Reply to
topgun

I'm guessing that the entire seat assembly is not interchangeable, but are any of the parts? Could the seat cushions and/or springs be swapped? That might just do the trick.

Thanks.

Reply to
topgun

A garage and an auto upholstery shop are two different things. Most garages I know would subcontract out a job like that to an upholstery shop. You need to go to an auto upholstery shop, not a garage.

That is bullcrap, the salvage yards almost never hang on to vehicles that have been in serious frontal collisions because the most commonly asked for parts are front end parts. Vehicles with deployed air bags have all the parts smashed up (front bumper, dashboard, fenders, grill, etc.) that people need to rpair other cards that have deployed air bags because of front end collisions. So there's no point in holding on to these, they go right to the crusher when they come in.

The big problem with a wrecker for this part is that all the drivers seats in the yards are probably going to be just as squashed down as yours.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt