SU carb problem?

Hi As some of you may remember, i wrote on here about a month ago relating to the SU carb on my austin allegro, and its flooding problem. I took your advice and replaced the float assembly, which solved that problem. however now i have a seperate, though related, problem. in my first attempts at diagnosing the problem, i was a fool and took the carb apart, without noting idle screw positions, etc. as a result, the old girl is now running like a pig. i have tried to set the carb up, however it seems impossible, as the engine keeps racing for about two seconds, and then dropping revs dramatically and doing it all again. this would be the problem. how do i make the engine maintain a constant idle? it seems pretty vital to me that this needs to be done before i can get it running at all well.

Also, and probaby not related, but there is a constant whine/squeal which raises pitch and volume as the revs increase. i have a feeling this could be the bearing in the water pump, as the carb caught fire a few weeks ago and it could have meted/spoiled/whatever the grease in said bearing, as it is quite close.

thanks in advance, Simon (email doesnt work, try snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com if need be)

Reply to
Simon Dixon