suburban rough idle/stalling

I have a 1995 chevy suburban 1500 with about 115,000 miles. I have the

350CID engine and the automatic with OD. After warming up and driving it has begun "hunting" at idle (rpm's surging between 500 and 1000) and often dies. It will restart fine and then idles OK until I start driving again; when I come to a stop it will either hunt or die about half the time. If I put the transmission into neutral it idles fine. Is it possible that the transmission is not disengaging properly when I come to a stop and keeping a load on the engine? Transmission fluid levels are good and the fluid is clean and clear.

Ron

Reply to
no_one

Is possible but probably not

EGR valve is stuck open due to carbon deposits or is faulty and needs to be replaced. Could also be a vacuum leak!

you can check the vacuum lines for any hardness/cracks, loose, disconnected vacuum lines or broken fittings. You can use carburetor cleaner to determine where the leak is. 1st you would need to disconnect the idle speed control motor connector. Then attach the long tube (that's included) to the can of carb cleaner. Spray towards the suspected vacuum leak. Engines rpm will change when the leak is located.

Reply to
Backbone

Thanks, I considered vacuum leaks as well. I should mention that with the throttle just cracked open the driveability can be bad; in the parking lot going slow or going slowly down the street with just a minimum of throttle I also get this surge. Would a vacuum leak/EGR failure lead to this as well?

Reply to
no_one

Yes!

Reply to