Surface Rust on Brake Hose

Today while my car was on the lift for a simple oil change at my usual mechanic I notice all the brake hose that runs under the car has surface rust on them. All the brake hose has turned yellowish brown because of the rust. I asked my mechanic if they should be changed. He said no need to worry because he doesn't think they are leaking.

Since my mechanic is very experienced and he has NEVER suggested any uncessary repair to me, I tend to trust him on this. Or should I get a second opinion on this ? If one brake hose breaks, you lose brake power on two wheels, while brakes on the other two wheels should still work, right ? I am struggling on whether I should order the hose to be changed on this 11 year old car...

Reply to
JW

It's no big deal. And it's the steel hardline you are refering to, not hoses I assume.

If it really bothers you get some rust stop paint and just paint the lines don't even bother sanding them, you can only make trouble for yourself by doing that, just paint. Even kyron will do a decent job in slowing/stoping the rust, especially if it's a real light bit of it the way your description sounds. Anyway by the sound of it there is no reason to be concerned.

Reply to
Brent P

I put marine grease on all my brake and fuel lines. They are 21 years old without failure here in the rust belt. I might favor the paint though if I were starting over, but grease is fast. Also, Lubri-Matic makes a product called Corrosion Pro that sprays on and holds very well. You can spray those sections that go above the frame (if you have one).

Reply to
MaxAluminum

Yep, that works well too.

Reply to
Brent P

Thank you all for the answers. You guys are wonderful.

Reply to
JW