Swimming recovery

I took my Audi A4 for a swim lately in a fairly deep pond. Got about 10" deep I guess, enough for dirty water to get into the cabin so the comfort control unit that some teuton have "thoughtfully" has placed under the driver's doormat is likely out of commission (it've pulled it, disassembled it and dried it. Having no spirits handy I had to wipe the dirt off the circuitry with damp cloth, i suppose that did not do it any good. Showed to an automotive electrician, he says if he was me he won't stuff that unit back in. Soooo, makes me wonder considering how much this thing costs and the cost of drycleaning that ensued am I looking at other expenses?

I was stupid enough to get up to the top of the wheel wells into the water but thankfully the engine seems fine. Any other problems to take care of aside from carpet stench preventive drycleaning and the search for the replacement of the control unit?

I'm sure after new orleans some folks have a very extensive experience in that area.

the electrician says it did not get into this sorry state from a single swim

Reply to
isquat

I don't know about A4, but some cars may have a problem where water gets into ventilation in heavy rain and trickles out unseen and you end up with damp carpet and other problems. Maybe somebody in an Audi forum has experience with same thing.

Reply to
pedro1492

ed it and dried it.

that unit back in.

My Passat has the common problem of getting water in the cabin caused by th e drain holes in the engine compartment getting clogged up. If you have thi s problem, you first have to check for blockage by removing the panel by th e firewall and look around. There may be a drain under the battery.

I had a problem with the transmission going crazy after a big rain. I took it to the transmission shop and they quoted me thirteen hundred dollars for a new transmission control module and the couldn't guarantee that it would work. I took it home and located the TCM under the passenger floor - it wa s in water. I bought a used TCM on eBay for $135.00. Installing it solved the problem. Th e old TCM still worked once it dried out and I'm keeping that as a spare.

If your A4 is around 10 years old, you might expect that the plastic connec tors for the coolant and emission hoses will start getting brittle and leak ing. This is completely normal for these cars.

Reply to
dsi1

e:

aced under the

bled it and dried it.

f that unit back in.

in that area.

the drain holes in the engine compartment getting clogged up. If you have t his problem, you first have to check for blockage by removing the panel by the firewall and look around. There may be a drain under the battery.

k it to the transmission shop and they quoted me thirteen hundred dollars f or a new transmission control module and the couldn't guarantee that it wou ld work. I took it home and located the TCM under the passenger floor - it was in water. I

The old TCM still worked once it dried out and I'm keeping that as a spare.

ectors for the coolant and emission hoses will start getting brittle and le aking. This is completely normal for these cars.

Thanks. So far I had to have interior disassembled and the carpets dry cleaned, sta rter rebuilt after it started making noises and the drowned comfort module is on backord er at the dealer's (there is a bunch of part number all differing in the last

2 letters, i did not dare to put a used one in different only in those two).

Why on earth do they have to place electronic modules so low? I could understand the starter being low for a car that is not designed to plow through the mud, but the electornic module in such a "smart" location is just bound to get wet eventually.

I understand the problem of poor starter and electronic component location is not limited to passenger cars, jeeps have it. Pagero/Montero have it.

Somebody is buying that despite obviously poor engineering decisions on par t of Jeep/Cruysler and mitsubishi...

Reply to
isquat

ote:

placed under the

embled it and dried it.

uff that unit back in.

e in that area.

y the drain holes in the engine compartment getting clogged up. If you have this problem, you first have to check for blockage by removing the panel b y the firewall and look around. There may be a drain under the battery.

ook it to the transmission shop and they quoted me thirteen hundred dollars for a new transmission control module and the couldn't guarantee that it w ould work. I took it home and located the TCM under the passenger floor - i t was in water. I

. The old TCM still worked once it dried out and I'm keeping that as a spar e.

nnectors for the coolant and emission hoses will start getting brittle and leaking. This is completely normal for these cars.

tarter rebuilt

Audi likes to do things their way. They'll stick the engine pointing straig ht ahead instead of sideways, like God intended. They'll put 5 valves in a head instead of 4. Putting an electronic control box at the bottom of a wel l seems odd but that's Audi for you. To their credit, it's in a water tight box but submerging the car in water will cause most cars to have problems.

As it goes, when everything is going right, it's a nice ride but it really helps to be fully invested in the car i.e., it helps to know the car inside and out.

Reply to
dsi1

s placed under the

ssembled it and dried it.

th damp cloth,

stuff that unit back in.

nce in that area.

by the drain holes in the engine compartment getting clogged up. If you ha ve this problem, you first have to check for blockage by removing the panel by the firewall and look around. There may be a drain under the battery.

took it to the transmission shop and they quoted me thirteen hundred dolla rs for a new transmission control module and the couldn't guarantee that it would work. I took it home and located the TCM under the passenger floor - it was in water. I

em. The old TCM still worked once it dried out and I'm keeping that as a sp are.

connectors for the coolant and emission hoses will start getting brittle an d leaking. This is completely normal for these cars.

starter rebuilt

ast 2 letters,

ight ahead instead of sideways, like God intended. They'll put 5 valves in a head instead of 4. Putting an electronic control box at the bottom of a w ell seems odd but that's Audi for you. To their credit, it's in a water tig ht box but submerging the car in water will cause most cars to have problem s.

y helps to be fully invested in the car i.e., it helps to know the car insi de and out.

Right. And now i know where the comfort control block is. I wish I did not. In all fairness even Jeeps which are supposed to be built to work in mud ha ve starter low that has to be rebuilt after seeing some water. Which it surely will if it's used for its intended purposes rather than by poseurs (which have escalade that does the job better anyhow).

Social posturing. Sigh.

Reply to
isquat