The 10 least safe cars of all time

I thought the '53 vette used similar era pass car front suspension? or are you referring to the C2?

nate

Reply to
N8N

BTW, nice nym-shift to cut through kill files.

Reply to
Brent

You should give up, because a few posts ago you claimed their were not Ford/Mercury dealerships, and now that I've proven you wrong, you are pretending you know the date in which some dealerships became Ford/Mercury? You would say anything to avoid admitting your initial lie has snowballed out of control on you as you continued to add more lies to cover the first one. I know the Ford/Mercury dealership I've dealt with for more than 40 yrs now has always sold both Fords and Mercury models on the same lot.

Econo-cars

Reply to
econo_cars

I'm recalling your bullshit as your recollection of history needs repair. Those of us who could pay cash back then did so because dealerships gave large incentives to cash purchasers. Today it is the opposite because dealerships (and possibly the manufacturers) make more money from their percentage of the financing, then they could from getting cash upfront.

Econo-cars

Reply to
econo_cars

now that I think about it, didn't the C2 continue to use the old 49-54 pass car suspension? and I think 63-82 were all the same. perhaps that is the one you are thinking of that shares parts with a truck? I really do not know about those, but I'm pretty sure I'm right on C1/C2 because I used to have a '49 sedan back in the day and I do remember looking at suspension parts/upgrades for corvettes.

nate

Reply to
N8N

There is nothing sensible about what Brent says. The Aero Star was, as are all our vehicles in two names, mine and spouse's, so is house, so is pretty much everything we own. Anyway as usual Brent is wrong, or at the very least not able to see outside the bubble he dwells in. If a company gives compensation and the check is cashed it is legally showing acceptance, and that makes it difficult, if not impossible to go after them for more. Insurance companies for instance are notorious for getting money out quick when they know a delay will result in a higher claim and payout. The dealership, most likely via Ford's instructions were told to get the check out ASAP with as little explanation as possible when they found out the accident result in hospitalization. They knew the van had design flaws, explained by the short life of that particular van.

Econo-cars

Reply to
econo_cars

"Steve W." wrote in news:ie84h9$htb$2 @speranza.aioe.org:

Can you imagine the electrical /alone/?

These days I wouldn't even bother with paper manuals. I'd just use the manufacturer's online Techinfo site. The best part about those is that mistakes get corrected quickly, so you're much less likely to be following an incorrect EWD. Plus at least some of the new EWDs are hyperlinked, so you can jump quickly to connector locations and other related information.

Reply to
Tegger

If you know so much about the Ford Pinto and Mercury Bobcat, how come you didn't know that in 1976 the specs for the placement of the fuel tank, and a shock absorber were factory changed, not to mention 87 additional minor modifications to how the fuel tank was attached and supported? I've heard back from my Ford/Mercury dealership who looked up the history of the transaction for me. He said I received a 1977 Bobcat (my mistake, my age, I'm never shy in admitting I can't remember model years) and said that I'm remembering the letter correctly. In factory the gas tank had been moved a minimal of 1 inch, up to 3 inches depending on the model (the models that came in Wagon form never needed change, Sedans moved an inch, runabouts up to 3 inches). He also said that any of this information was released publicly in an investigative report by the then called Office of Defects Investigation Enforcement National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. He said that the report notes certain aspects of their findings were banned from being publicly released due to 5 U.S.C 552(b) (4.), but that the factory modifications made are listed for public review in that investigative report.

Econo-cars

Reply to
econo_cars

No the dealership knows i"m right too. I've also discovered that once again you are lying about being a mechanic at any Ford dealership.

Econo-cars

Reply to
econo_cars

Well I didn't know you were fat, but that makes more sense in explaining why you're such a liar. Fat people generally have self-esteem issues which makes them more likely to get jealous when other people get something good that they didn't get.

Econo-cars

Reply to
econo_cars

Having owned a 1977 Corvette for all of a week, I have to say that combination of low bucket seating and the long nose created times when the center line was no longer visible (ie going up hill, and going around esses that slopped upwards). That created temporarily unsafe driving situation.

Econo-cars

Reply to
econo_cars

Just because the reimbursement was signed for means nothing except that it has been delivered. There is no implication of acceptance of that which is contained within the envelope, which at the time of signing is an unknown. I don't believe the US system is that screwed up :)

Reply to
Bret

Furthermore if the vehicle is in both names, both must sign over the title, both must approve of it being taken. If the check is in two names, both must sign. And lastly a wife cannot sign away legal recourse for the husband and vice versa.

Reply to
Brent

I'd lioke to try that!

I have never driven a Corvette. Porsches and a Ferrari, but no vettes...

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

They already have keyboard condoms... :)

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

The '53 used truck spindles and front brakes. They used a bigger bearing and stronger hub and brake design that the cars.

Reply to
Steve W.

The 53 used truck spindles and A arms IIRC. The Ford crowd likes to point that out every now and again. They were used along with the brakes because they were stronger than the passenger parts and they wanted the arms stiffer to help with handling. Didn't make a big difference because the C1s all handled like bathtubs on wheels anyway. The C2 used full sized passenger parts except for the rear.

Reply to
Steve W.

The last paper set I bought was for the 02 Blazer we have. That was a three volume set. Each 2" thick....

The online and DVD styles are MUCH easier to deal with.

Reply to
Steve W.

It's s nice story, but I still don't believe it. I can't imagine that Chevy trucks were IFS all the way back in 1953; far more likely is that the trucks were still using live axles and if uprated suspension parts were used maybe they came from Olds, Cadillac, etc.

I'm pretty sure that I used a disc brake conversion intended for a C1 on my '49 however.

(googles)

yup, Chevy 2WD trucks went IFS in 1960, but the 4WD were live axle for a lot longer (not sure how long, probably into the 1980s)

nate

Reply to
N8N

Yep, And the 53 'vette used the same spindles with kingpins as the trucks. The lower A arm was the same design as the original IFS for the trucks. The rest of the parts were sedan parts.

shows the suspension (not very well though)

Reply to
Steve W.