The Water Engine?

Heh, hold back the flames, plz, and read this one:

Another company claiming to boost combustion efficiency by injecting H2 into the fuel mixture. This concept claims that hydrogen will be extracted from water by centrifugation, to then inject it into the fuel mix. A new spin on the same idea, if you'll forgive the pun. ;)

So I'm just asking if this sounds at all feasible. How much H2 can you extract from H2O by centrifugation?? I've never really heard of this approach before. Can centrifugal force be used to efficiently split water, or separate it from dissolved H2 gas to generate the latter in sufficient quantities?

Is this sudden spate of announcement on new energy efficiency technologies related to big spike in prices at the gas pump these days? ie. are snake-oil salesmen crawling out of the woodwork faster than the rats & snakes fleeing Rita & Katrina?

Comments?

Reply to
manofsan

Nope, not feasible. To hydrogen enrich fuel in an auto, either buy reformed methane in a cylinder or find an inexpensive on-board hydrocarbon reformer.

Don W.

Reply to
Don W.

Troll.

Reply to
mst

1) How much energy would it take to spin a centrifuge fast enough to accomplish this? More than the hydrogen would yield itself? 2) If it were that easy to extract hydrogen, don't you think somebody would be doing it already? Such as hydrogen-friendly General Motors?

Yes. It happens every time people become fearful of supply. To mind comes 1959, 1973, 1979...

Reply to
Hugo Schmeisser

Gadgets that are purported to extract free energy from water have been around in various forms for decades. This is nothing more than a way to separate you from your money.

Reply to
John S.

Faraday's Law ain't broke.

See the discussion at

and the tutorials at
and

Don Lancaster

No.

None. As in "zero". As in "dream on".

Because it's the biggest load of total bullshit since Sasquatch.

No.

No. Not in any measurable quantity.

Yes.

Reply to
Don Bruder

Oh Ghod, do we have another water powered car scam surfacing?

Harry C.

Reply to
hhc314

Many years ago, in this little t***hole town, a dude drove into a service station and asked the attendant to fill his tank with water. The attendant resisted, but finally did what the dude wanted.

The dude took a small white pill out of a container and put it down the fill tube, then started his car.

You can guess the rest. The attendant was scammed into buying the miraculous pills and the dude drove off (with gasoline from his reserve tank).

There is no free lunch.

Reply to
<HLS

I guess you could calculate (it's not difficult) what rotational speed would be needed for a centrifuge to attain IR energies. However I suspect that there is no material that could stand the internal stresses that such speed would entail. It isn't even worth the effort to do so since the center seeking force would apply to the whole molecule and how could that cause the bond to break. Besides there is the little problem of relativistic energies. FK

Reply to
fkasner

One of the very few instances where the urban lore is absolutely correct!

Actually, the pill ---> really really

Reply to
Don Lancaster

I've had an effective water-powered car for years. Of course, it takes a really long hose to supply the Pelton wheel inside, but as long as I am a couple hundred feet from a fire hydrant it works just great.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

You can easily show this does work. Wet a CD-ROM and put it in 40X drive. Let it spin for a few seconds. Open the tray, and all the H2O has split!

Reply to
Eric Gisin

Looks like thisismoney.co.uk have fallen for the same spiel as the business pages of the Independent, which I posted about under "OM Energy - Another Scam?".

Mind you, the Independent had no excuse, as it's supposed to be a quality paper. Thisismoney.co.uk is part of the Daily Mail group, and is therefore probaby more concerned with keeping asylum seekers out, protecting "family values" and whining that they can't understand modern art. If ever any group of people deserved to be swindled ...

Ian

Reply to
Ian.usenet

I suppose this takes the thread a little OT, but not by much. I used to have a Renault 4CV. It had a filler cap above the engine hood (rear engined car). Turns out that filler cap was the radiator cap. The gas cap was under the hood. Never had it happen to me, but heard stories of how many times people put gas in cooling system. This was before self serve gas stations.

Reason it never happened to me is that ultimately we never got the car to run. Turned out it had a VERY cracked block. Paid 10 bucks for it, sold it for parts at considerable profit. Used money to buy car that actually ran.

Reply to
Don Stauffer

Water injection to improve the thermal efficiency of internal combustion engines is 1930's technology. It was used by early transatlantic airliners before the advent of high octane fuels, it allowed running at the lean side of peak pressure

and provided cooling, (Conversion of excess heat to mechanical energy). Free energy by centrifuguning water to break the Hydrogen-Oxygen bond is pure bullshit.. MadDog "Facts, (the laws of thermodynamics), do not cease to exist just because they are ignored".

Reply to
MadDogR75

Note that it was actually pioneered on the B-29. I believe this was one of the super-secret features of that aircraft, along with some turbocharger refinemants.

Sheesh, next thing you know, you'll be telling me that my plan to use flatulent weasels in the trunk as methane generators is impractical.

--scott

Really, it just takes a few bean enchiladas, see...

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

Now thats an engine. A carbide-enhanced methane generator. Some of the environmentalists (and close friends) may complain about the emissions...

Reply to
don

Actually it goes back even further than that. The old Rumley Oil Pull tractors used it pre-ww1. I don't think Rumley understood why it worked, but it allowed one of the best kerosene burning tractors of the era, 'cause it raised octane of kerosene up to level near that of gasolines of period. He thought it helped mix fuel and air better. Detonation and octane rating were not understood well yet in that era.

Reply to
Don Stauffer

Both Merlin and Allison used it before the B-29. Early P-40s had it. I think P-38 did too. I think it was developed in early to mid -30s.

Reply to
Don Stauffer