The Water Engine?

My dad's close friend had a tracter with three 'fuel tanks'. Started the unit on high-octane gasoline. Then gradually mixed in water and #2 fuel oil. This was a mid -30's engine.

daestrom

Reply to
daestrom

t>urbocharger refinemants. Definitely earlier. Check out the Pan Am "Clippers", though it might have been water/alcohol mix that was used. MadDog

Reply to
MadDogR75

Alcohol was added as anti-freeze so tank would not freeze up at colder temps found at high altitude. All aircraft "water-injection" had alcohol "anti-freeze" in it.

Reply to
Don Stauffer

I remember some oceangoing tankers also used emulsions of Bunker C and water as fuel. Bunker C or Fuel Oil #6 is like road tar. Using the emulsion dropped the viscosity and made it more pumpable. This is not unlike the Oremulsion (sp?) project and products used in Venezuela.

Some were claiming that the actual fuel value was not dropping to the level that this dilution would have predicted. If true, and I cannot substantiate this, then there was a de facto efficiency improvement.

Reply to
<HLS

A friend had one of those. First and only one I have ever seen here in America. The fiber camshaft gear was the first indication that this car was less than robust. An electrical fire was the second. It got no third chance.

Reply to
<HLS