toyota forerunner question..PLZ READ

Hi, I am from canada and Have a question for you. I went to buy a 1990 toyota forerunner today.....it has a V6 w/ 250,000kms. Its runs perfect, the motor was done at 200k. Here's my question, the oil pressure gauge while parked was very low....like just a little shade above L....when I drive it it did go to about 40percent......is this normaL? Despite it running good,,,is there a problem? what could it be?

thanks

Reply to
Devils Advocate

250,000kms.

I can't tell you what is 'normal,' but based upon my experience with my '88 V6, I would say your situation merits investigation. Mine runs at about 75% needle deflection at speed and never drops below 50% at idle - but the indicators probably vary from one vehicle to the next.

Just my opinion; but, if my readings were that low, I would definitely hook up a gauge and see what the actual pressure is - otherwise, it would probably drive me nuts. Just pull the oil pressure switch out (just in front of the oil filter) and connect an oil pressure gauge in the port. It should be at least 4psi at idle and between 36-71 psi at 3000 rpm.

If the oil pressure is confirmed low, it could be caused by several things including oil leakage, poor quality oil, a faulty relief valve in the oil pump, a bad crankshaft bearing, or a clogged oil filter.

Before I did anything, I would change the oil and filter if not already done. A higher viscosity oil will usually result in a bit more pressure.

Luther

Reply to
Luther

250,000kms.

Sounds low, but the it may be low oil pressure or a bad gauge. Try changing oil and filter first for a quick check. Be sure to use OEM filter.

-paul

Reply to
Paul Cassel