Top Tier Fuel

There is an article/column in the latest (August) Car and Driver by Larry Webster, on a new fuel certification program. Very interesting.

Reply to
Don Stauffer

Following is from a recent GM TSB:

Subject: Top Tier Detergent Gasoline (Deposits, Fuel Economy, No Start, Power, Performance, Stall Concerns)

Models:

2005 and Prior All General Motors Passenger Cars and Trucks (U.S. Only) 2003-2005 HUMMER H2

This bulletin is being revised to identify the gasoline brands that currently meet the Top Tier Detergent Gasoline Standards. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 04-06-04-047 (Section 06 - Engine).

A new class of gasoline, called Top Tier Detergent Gasoline, will be appearing at retail stations of some fuel marketers. This gasoline meets detergency standards developed by four automotive companies. A description of the concept and benefits of Top Tier is provided in the following question and answer section.

What is Top Tier Detergent Gasoline?

Top Tier Detergent Gasoline is a new class of gasoline with enhanced detergency. It meets new, voluntary deposit control standards developed by four automotive companies that exceed the detergent requirements imposed by the EPA.

Who developed Top Tier Detergent Gasoline standards?

Top Tier Detergent Gasoline standards were developed by four automotive companies: BMW, General Motors, Honda and Toyota.

Why was Top Tier Detergent Gasoline developed?

Top Tier Detergent Gasoline was developed to increase the level of detergent additive in gasoline. The EPA requires that all gasoline sold in the U.S. contain a detergent additive. However, the requirement is minimal and in many cases, is not sufficient to keep engines clean. In order to meet Top Tier Detergent Gasoline standards, a higher level of detergent is needed than what is required by the EPA. Also, Top Tier was developed to give fuel marketers the opportunity to differentiate their product.

Why did the four automotive companies loin together to develop Top Tier?

All four corporations recognized the benefits to both the vehicle and the consumer. Also, joining together emphasized that low detergency is an issue of concern to several automotive companies.

What are the benefits of Top Tier Detergent Gasoline?

Top Tier Detergent Gasoline will help keep engines cleaner than gasoline containing the "Lowest Additive Concentration" set by the EPA. Clean engines help provide optimal fuel economy and performance and reduced emissions. Also, use of Top Tier Detergent Gasoline will help reduce deposit related concerns.

Who should use Top Tier Detergent Gasoline?

All vehicles will benefit from using Top Tier Detergent Gasoline over gasoline containing the "Lowest Additive Concentration" set by the EPA. Those vehicles that have experienced deposit related concerns may especially benefit from use of Top Tier Detergent Gasoline.

Where can Top Tier Detergent Gasoline be purchased?

The Top Tier program began on May 3, 2004. Some fuel marketers have already joined and have introduced Top Tier Detergent Gasoline. This is a voluntary program and not all fuel marketers will offer this product. Once fuel marketers make public announcements, they will appear on a list of brands that meet the Top Tier standards.

Gasoline Brands That Currently Meet Top Tier Detergent Gasoline Standards

As of August 15, 2004, the following gasoline brands meet the Top Tier Detergent Gasoline Standards:

^ Chevron Chevron has markets in 29 states in the West, Southwest and South, as well as in Alaska and Hawaii. ALL grades of Chevron with Techron gasoline meet Top Tier Detergent Gasoline Standards.

^ QuikTrip (not to be confused with Kwik Trip) OuikTrip operates convenience stores and travel centers in a number of metropolitan areas:

- Tulsa, OK

- Springfield, MO

- Kansas City, MO and Kansas City, KS

- Wichita, KS

- Des Moines, IA

- Omaha, NE

- St. Louis, MO and St. Louis, IL

- Atlanta, GA

- Dallas-Ft. Worth, TX

- Phoenix, AZ

- Bartlesville, OK

- Miami, OK

- Vinita, OK

- Columbia, MO

Reply to
Ed White

Yeah, and this is from

:

=== The base fuel [...] shall contain denatured ethanol such that the actual ethanol content is no less than 8.0 and no more than 10.0 volume percent. ===

So, whatever other aspects this Top Tier program has, it is also quite apparently yet one more marketing ploy by Archer Daniels Midland to get wider use of ethanol-diluted gasoline and less complaining about it.

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

Guess that means my gas station will have four grades now: Regular (Not Cheap) Intermediate(Not too expensive) Super (Expensive) Top Tier (Very Expensive)

My, my those automotive companies are much closer than we thought. I'm positively titillated at the thought of them loining together in public.

Is this a real problem?

So far not exactly an overwhelming success. Maybe a solution looking for a problem to solve?

Reply to
John S.

I am confused. Chevron claims they meet the Top Teir requirements in all grades and they don't have ethanol in their gas. So what am I missing? Is the ethanol added just for the test?

Ed

Reply to
Ed White

It is a little less than clearly written, but it reads to me as if Top Tier fuel *must* contain ethanol.

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

I read it that way too, but Chevron doesn't show ethanol in their fuels, so something is confusing. I actaully buy Chevron locally, but I have never seen any advertisements at the local stations that mention Top Teir fuel. If it is "Top Teir" then it is not affecting the cost. The Chevron station I visit is usually competitive with anything but the bottom rung stations (less than no name gas).

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

I don't know the truth to it, but I saw a report on the evening local news a few months ago that Chevron was going to try competative pricing and just make a few cents less profit per gallon, but increase volume enough to make up the difference.

It looks like from what I've seen locally (San Diego) to be working, every time I pull into a Chevron station 75% of the pumps (at least) are full.

I normally only buy gas from Chevron and Shell, but neither's prices are any higher than the nearest Arco. It's worth an extra block or two to avoid that crap.

Dave

Reply to
Dave