Components of 4Runner stronger than components of Highlander ?

Would it be accurate to say that the various components of the 4Runner are simply stronger than those of the Highlander ?

They would presumably be more expensive than a Highlander, but the question is are the 4Runners simply stronger over time.

The construction necessary to create an offroad vehicle versus a pavement vehicle would seem to require stronger components, just so that the SUV stays together during the offroad activity.

Less likelihood to breakdown is my priority, and not sports car characteristics.

Would the 4Runner get the nod in that case ?

Reply to
Bennet

The 4-runner always has been based on the 4WD pickup (Tacoma). The new FJ Cruiser is based on the 4-Runner.

The Highlander is based on the Camry. It is basically a Camry wagon.

If you're looking to go off-roading, the 4-Runner is the better vehicle. If your looking to do some SERIOUS off-roading the FJ is better yet.

Reply to
Hachiroku

In so far as the 4Runner is based on the Tacoma and the Highlander is based on the Camry, yes the 4Runner is stronger.

Breakdown is not related to physical strength.

I don't know that the stuff that can breakdown is better or not, but the physical strength of the 4Runner should surpass the physical strength of the Highlander.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Actually, the FJ Cruiser is based on a Japan market Land Cruiser.

Reply to
Ray O

I'm not sure what you mean by "stronger over time," the 4Runner has more horsepower and torque than the Highlander.

The 4Runner is body-on-frame construction like a pickup and has a double wishbone front suspension

The Highlander is a monocoque, or unibody construction, like a car and has a MacPherson Strut suspension.

The 4Runner's heavier duty suspension will probably give a slightly harsher ride than the Highlander, and the shock absorbers on the 4Runner will be easier to replace than the struts on the Highlander, although if you pay to have shocks or struts replaced at a Toyota dealership, you will get a lifetime warranty so in either case, you would pay only once for a replacement, if necessry.

Neither the Highlander or the 4Runner are likely to break down, and if you are not taking the vehicles off road, durability is roughly the same. If you intend to take the vehicle off-road, or tow heavy loads, the 4Runner may be more appropriate. If you rarely or never take your vehicle off-road and do not tow a trailer on a regular basis, then the Highlander may be more appropriate. The 4Runner's heavier duty engine, suspension, and drivetrain will not get the same fuel economy as the Highlander.

You may also want to take a look at the FJ Cruiser if you want something heavy duty ;-)

Reply to
Ray O

Reply to
Bennet

Judging the the frequency that questions get asked about problems with

4Runner, Sequoia, Land Cruisers, Highlanders, and Rav4's here, it seems like they are very comparable in reliability.

My recommendation is to choose the vehicle that suits your needs and tastes rather than for off-road capabilities.

Reply to
Ray O

And, these are good things to be looking into. My point is the premise of your original question was flawed.

The attributes that have to do with the platform are not the attributes that answer your query.

The cost of ownership may well be greater with the 4Runner, but it is less efficient with fuel.

If you are certain that you are not interested in offroad ability, I'd urge you to look closely at the Highlander, and the Lexus version too. It is my humble opinion that these are more highway worthy -- read, comfortable -- than the 4Runner. I could be wrong on that, but if the price is close, I'd have to drive them both on an extended test drive before I made up my mind. If the price is not close, then I'd have to lean strongly toward the Highlander (using your criteria).

The Highlander is based on the Camry, and the Camry is among the best automobiles to ever roam the planet. I don't know how many of the components are a direct interchange with the Camry, but I'd have to guess that a large percentage of them are. Assuming this is true, the Highlander should be as reliable as the Camry.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Hmmm...they told us at the dealer, and in a lot of the off the shelf and trade mags it was based on the 4-Runner.

However, after seeing the Land Cruiser's current incarnation, I could believe the Land Cruiser/FJ link. It is bigger and higher up than the

4-Runner.

I had a chance to drive all three of them (well, except the Home Market LC) and the FJ and the US version LC seem very closer together than the FJ/4-Runner comparison.

I definitely like the FJ. The US version LC is too much of a LuxoMobile for any serious off-roading. $65K to beat the thing through the woods? I think not!

Reply to
Hachiroku

I think I read somewhere, probably a press release, that the FJ Cruiser was based on a real Land Cruiser chassis. I've seen pictures of the terrain that Toyota used to demonstrate its off road capabilities, and it looks like a serious off-road vehicle!

Reply to
Ray O

Well apprently the Highlander hybrid is good enough as a support vehicle for Toronto's fire dept.

<reportspam

'03 Gasket problem??? Are you refering to head gasket problem on V6 4Rnrs back in late '90's? (Which was fixed by Toyota). No gasket problem that I am aware of in the '03 model. Been alot of complaints about the shifting and drive by wire lag on early Highlanders.

Reply to
Wolfgang