toyota highlander maintenance required reset

car is 2008 highlander and oil change & filter done at 4k miles, now at 5k miles

can't turn off the MAINT REQD light on dash

  1. verify ODO (not Trip A, B) is on
  2. hold down trip reset button, turn ON (but engine not needed to be running)
  3. wait a few seconds and release
  4. light should turn off

nope

tried this also

nope, does not work

Reply to
HRK

I'm not familiar with the Highlander, but is it possible that this light is turned on by the ECU for a fault condition in addition to the odometer trigger?

You might want to have the OBD codes read.

Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

no, separate indicator light for ECU faults, this one is maintenance reminder only

Reply to
HRK

Friend had this problem with his new Camry and dealer's shop gave him procedure. Since I usually change my own oil, I would consider this a PITA.

Reply to
Frank