Toyota trans question

Hard to tell from the pics. It's a parking garage in the winter, but security took pics, so you think they would have said something if she was parked stupidly.

I once got a parking ticket in a gravel parking lot for taking up two spots. That was quite the conversation - they asked about lines and stuff, I told them it was gravel. They said they had pictures, I said "good.... look at them" - they then told me to rip up the ticket.

I still laugh at that one. I worked late that day, and this is overflow parking for the baseball stadium, so they park the cars very close together, and I guess my car screwed up their system because I had a monthly pass and was right in the middle of the row... which didn't exist at 8am when I went to work.

Still, even if she was parked in the middle of the row, that doesn't give you permission to hit her car. Are you telling me if my car were to stall at the lights like my co-worker's did, it would be ok to rear end him like the old guy did? I'm not sure how a parked car can be at fault for an accident.

Ray

Reply to
news

Your wife's claim is an opinion. How does she know that somebody in big SUV didn't come along and push her Barrets into the Camry? If that is what happened why would the Camry owner be at fault?

I never said your wife was lying - I said you are going to lose in court. One of the reasons you are going to lose is you don't know the difference between a fact and an opinion. What you are presenting as the facts are either opinions or irrelevant facts. That's just going to annoy the judge.

-Jim

Reply to
jim

What does a stalled car have in common with an illegally parked car? Technically speaking, its probably not "legal" to push an illegally parked car around. But the owner of the illegally parked car is in an indefensible position (hich is what makes it fun). Its kinda hard to point the finger at someone else when its YOUR car that is 3 feet over the line, after all. And its "he said she said" as to which car was there first. Which is why I asked which car was over the line- yours, or your wifes? If your wife's car was over the line, she might be morally in the right because she was there first, but legally indefensible.

You can probably tell that I take an unhealthy pleasure from messing with people that like to park across 3 spaces to "protect" their precious rides (usually ricer-boys with huge wings and 20-inch wheels on an 80-horsepower Civic). I've even been known to gang up with a friend to block them hopelessly in, and there's not a darn thing they can do about it since our cars were legally parked. It also helps to drive a very large piece of Detroit or German iron when doing this.

I can think of one example- a car parked too close to a railroad track. Train hits the car, destroys it. Testimony recorded in court when the car owner was trying to get the railroad to pay for the car- the engineer was on the stand and made the statement that the car was illegally parked. The opposing lawyer interrupted and asked, 'How do YOU know it was illegally parked?' Train engineer says, 'Because I hit it.' The whole courtroom cracks up, except for the lawyer who still doesn't get the fact that trains can't steer themselves, and the space they take up is fixed and beyond the control of the engineer. The car owner lost that one big time.

But yeah, its hard to think of other examples that are so clear-cut.

Reply to
Steve

Well, she hasn't gotten a parking ticket in 10+ years, so I'm pretty sure she was legally parked.

My point is that if you are driving a car (not a train) and you hit something that's not moving (tree, car, road debris) even if it's not supposed to be there, it's the fault of the moving car.

What are you, 12? I used to think that kind of stuff is funny, but it's also stupid. Do you key their car too?

Reply to
Ray

Hey, COF, we had a '94 4 cyl with a 5-speed at the dealer I worked for. And I saw another (I think '98) the other day getting my Suby inspected. They are rare, but they're out there!

Also, IIRC, the 5-speeds were made in Japan only...

Reply to
Hachiroku

Yup, I've never even seen a 92-96 w/ 5 speed aside from the V6 SE for whatever reason. Just lucky, 'spose. In the US, the 97-up bodystyle could be had w/ 5 speed on a CE only, fairly rare to begin with.

Perhaps on the 3rd gen and early 4th gen. My info shows that all of the 5 speeds for the 97-up Camry hail from Kentucky. Going back to 96 they show most 5 speeds built in the US, but 4cyl DX has both US and Jap plant possibilities. I'm going to stop before I go blind.

Toyota MDT in MO

Reply to
Comboverfish