transmission binding... or axle?

i have a 2002 subaru wrx.

when turning at slow speeds (after the car has warmed up), the car shudders... as if something is locking up. this happens in any gear (and neutral) but does not happen while traveling a straight line.

my mechanic says that it is a center differential problem, and that the cost will be $900. he determined this just by driving the car and experiencing the problem first hand.

does this diagnosis and associated cost sound reasonable?

Reply to
sethpt

Could be bad CV joints, as they can make a heck of a racket when they go bad.

Just make sure that's fully checked first.

Dave

Reply to
spamTHISbrp

Yes, it is your viscous clutch assembly in the rear of your transmission that is binding. It is only available as a complete assembly, but the installation and part cost of $900 is fairly reasonable, considering that a new manual trans is ~$3500 and a new auto trans is ~$5000. You may want to get a couple more estimates, but if the first shop is your regular garage and you find them to be competent and trustworthy, then I would strongly recommend them. If the price quote is vastly lower at another place (chain tire stores don't count) then I would bring that price to your familiar shop and see what they have to say about it. Cost isn't the only important factor in choosing an auto repair facility.

Toyota MDT in MO

Reply to
Comboverfish