99 Maxima axle replacement

hello all,

i need to replace the driver's side CV axle on my 99 Maxima; the Chilton's says that the Passenger's side axle must be removed first so that you can "drift out" the driver's side axle. Is this really necessary? The Chilton's for my Sentra says the same thing, but i always popped out the driver's side axle with a pry bar and never had any problems. If anyone has info on this i would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks

Reply to
inag99

No need to drive it out from the other side, in my experience. Just a good clean tug or a careful pry with a prybar.

Dave

Reply to
dgeesaman

I agree with the previous poster. I have a 96 Max and I read the same thing in my Haynes. They are the same publication. If you got your Sentra out, then you already know what to do. It is probably the same type pin that is holding the Driverside one in place. I was replacing both so it didn't matter to me at the time. I just know that doing it how they said was really difficult.

Reply to
Charlie 3

You're right. No need to push it out from the other side. Mine came out with a healthy pull.

Reply to
jmattis

With the Maxima, seriously consider replacing the differential seal while you're there. Disturbing it by replacing the axle will OFTEN lead to leaks, and you'll find a quart of tranny fluid on the ground shortly after replacing that axle.

Reply to
jmattis

Ok, my wife's 2000 has both boots torn, so I'll probably get a replacement for the entire assembly. Autozone has these axles for about 75.00 a piece plus refundable core charge). dealer wanted around 500.00 I tried doing the passenger side on my 2002 and ended up having someone doing it as I cannot get the center bearing removed.

Does the driver side have this center bearing/bracket?

BTW, what is reasonable labor cost for someone to do this? I was charged around $150 labor for the 2002.

Reply to
cmdrdata