Transmission extension housing removal?

Hiya

In an attempt to correct some deep vibration I get when driving 55-65mph, I'm going to be replacing the extension housing seal and bushing on my 1995 Ford E250 4.9L L6. I've already replaced the u-joints. The seal has some tears and leaks a bit and there is a lot of play on the output shaft of the transmission. The transmission itself is the 3-speed C6. In the Ford factory manual they describe the process of replacing the bushing as not requiring removal of the entire extension housing because they tell you to use this special bushing removal tool that actually allows you to insert it from the driveshaft end of the housing and then 'pull' the bushing out using the tool's fingers... the problem is I can't find this tool at any of the auto parts shops around town and have only been able to find a set of bushing drivers that allow you to tap out the old bushing. This requires complete removal of the extension housing, but this process is not described in any of the 3 manuals I have. Will I have to remove the entire transmission? If not, will I still have to drain out the transmission fluid? Is there anything difficult about removing the extension housing? basically just give me the inside scoop on this. I figure it's probably an easy task, but I wanted to get some advice from the pros here before I end up screwing something up major.

Or Is there any chance I could find a special tool like the one described in the Ford manual at a hardware store or Home Depot? What could I look for?

take care Jay

Reply to
Ford Warrior