starter bushing removal and replacement

I have an 1982 Diesel Rabbit. Lately the starter motor has been 'balky', encountering some kind of resistance. Taking the starter motor out is so simple that this seemed to be a good, thorough start to troubleshooting.

The starter motor spindle that projects beyond the gear looked to be slightly scored. The starter bushing, that is pressed into the transaxle's bellhousing seemed worn with at least one fragment of copper lying 'loose'.

My Bentley's manual directs me to the manual transmission section of the book, sadly I am missing the pages that deal with this.

Can anyone give me (and others that may find themselves in this position) advice on how to proceed?

I cannot see if the bushing can be pressed out from behind (which looks like it would require a LOT of disassembly) or if it can be drilled out. I think that working slowly with increasing sizes of bit (maybe turning the bit in the fingers) can thin the walls of the bushing until the rest of the bushing falls out. I think that copper will be softer that the Aluminum (I think) bellhousing.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance, Rob in Calgary

Reply to
Robert Charles Young

If you don't have the proper tool to remove it, then find a tap that will cut threads into the bushing. Then as you are cutting the threads the tap will bottom out and pull the bushing out of the transmission. Works pretty quick! ;-)

Be careful installing the bushing. I use a bushing driver after I make sure that the bushing is going straight in. You might be able to use a socket and an extension to tap the bushing it. I think I have done it and have reversed the socket onto the extension. This might allow a little of the extension to stick out of the socket which keeps it centered on the bushing. Very light taps please so you don't destroy the bushing. I hear that you can install the bushing onto the starter and then install the starter into the trans. I am not sure if the bushing will be fully seated this way. :-(

Does this all make sense? ;-)

later, dave (One out of many daves)

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

Not difficult at all, just choose the size of drill that will just grip the bushing and pull by hand. When reinstalling new bushing, put grease around it as stated in the instructions (coming with a refurbished starter)...

Reply to
al

Reply to
none2u

Yes, that sounds good, I like the tap-as-extractor idea.

I was wondering about the insertion. I will look to remove any nicks and burs (emery cloth) then look to see if I have sockets and extensions of the correct size, maybe a bicycle axle with a cone.

Rob

dave AKA vwdoc1 wrote:

Reply to
Robert Charles Young

It is hard to get a very good look with a pocket mirror and small flashlight, but it looks like there is a chunk out of the wall of the bushing - I don't know how deep.

Rob

n> There's a bushing puller for that bushing . You stick it in there ,spread

Reply to
Robert Charles Young

I should be able to measure the OD of the new bushing and stay safely inside of that.

Rob

Reply to
Robert Charles Young