transmission problems with a hyndai

I have a1996 hyndai elantra that will up shift fine but will not down shift upon coming to a stop. i have installed a new pulse generator to the tranny with no results. no check eng. light comes on. you can stop and restart eng. and trans. will start off normally

Reply to
wilderbillyof43

A '96 Elantra *without* the MIL on is a rare bird. Anyway, you could have a valve in the valvebody that is sticking once actuated with fluid pressure. I'm thinking that the 3rd and 4th ranges each employ individual valves whose purpose is to lock out other unwanted operations or to assist in holding the clutch pressure that is supplied by the primary 3rd and 4th valves. This is just an educated guess; I've never studied this trans or had one apart. The lack of P07xx series codes (assuming there are none in memory) would suggest that the input and speed sensors are working and that each gear range is engaging when it should based on load and speed inputs. That would lead me to believe, as stated before, that the trans is mechanically staying in too high a gear during decel. The trans ecu most likely doesn't set speed/rationality codes during decel.

Your car doesn't actually *die* when you come to a stop, does it?

Toyota MDT in MO

Reply to
Comboverfish

no the car stops normally and runs fine it just wants to start off in high gear upon acceleration

Reply to
wilderbillyof43

So there isn't a torque converter or TC pressure circuit problem. Then I stand by my initial WAG : )

Toyota MDT in MO

Reply to
Comboverfish