turning over long-dormant engine

i recently started poking around a 1968 oldsmobile delmont 88 that's been sitting unused for about 10 years.

with a jump from a truck battery, i can get the engine to turn over well without the spark plugs. this is an improvement from the original starting condition, before dropping some oil into each cylinder chamber, suggesting there may have been some corrosion within the chambers.

with the plugs in, tho, the engine will only turn over a few times, then cease.

my guess is that the battery i'm jumping from can't give enough amps to the starter. this explanation is consistent with starter performance under the two different conditions, assuming that with the plugs in the cylinders would encounter more resistance on the upstrokes.

but i'd like to check on other possible sources for the problem as well.

so i appeal to the group: what else should i check? could the starter or some other related part degraded over the period of disuse?

many thanks, andreas

Reply to
andreas

within

starter

Did you clean the connections at the battery and the starter?

Reply to
Napalm Heart

Reply to
JimV

Ditto- The old battery is probably sucking up most of the charge from the jumper battery. You might want temporarily swap in the jumper battery directly.

Reply to
Bill Kapaun

I would suspect that whatever gas it had in it when it was parked has long turned to varnish. I had that problem on a 53 Chevy that sat for 16 years. The tank, fuel line, fuel pump and carb were all varnished up. Next on the list of concerns is decade old seals, cracked and dry rotted. I don't know if used oil will turn to sludge in ten years but if it does,(it did in the oil bath air cleaner of 16 years) Imagine what may be in the pan and lifters. I would be inclined to run a 50/ 50 mix of oil and kerosene for very short periods( not driving, just warming the engine.. No garrantee on how your bearings will handle this method , I worried at first too) drain that, add new filter , add all new oil and drive for a short period , drain the oil and replace the filter again. I did this at a trusted friends advise and it got all the sludge out. I also added some Marvels to swell the seals.

Reply to
Akacguy6161