Two simple questions that came up when mounting tires at home

> 1. The teen asked me why this slit in the typical air chuck... >
's how you take it apart. The spring, plunger, and seal have to get in there somehow.
Reply to
rbowman
Two minor questions that came up today when I was showing an inquisitive
teen how to mount & balance his own tires for the car he recently got for
free from a neighbor.
1. The teen asked me why this slit in the typical air chuck...
The kid asked me what the practical difference was between choosingbetween two air valves, one for up to 65 psi and the other up to 80 psi fora typical 30 to 40psi nominal economy car tire such as his are:
both cases, I told the kid that I don't know the answers and that I'dask folks on this newsgroup who know more than I do about such things, soI'll point the kid to this thread, when/if reasonable answers ensue.
I did hazard a guess that I suspect the slit in the chuck is perhaps to
"let air out", although I'm not sure why we'd want to do that except, I
guess, if we use the chuck as the air-release mechanism (similar to the
"nib" on the back of a typical pencil-type air pressure gauge).
Likewise, I told him that it doesn't seem to matter all that much which
pressure valve we use for his passenger car tires, AFAIK, where I like the
brass valve, which happens to handle higher pressure, but I didn't see that
it mattered for a passenger car, particularly since they were both
essentially the same price.
One happens to be a "bolt in" type while the other is "snap in", but I
didn't see that as a practical difference - do you, and one was slightly
shorter but only because O'Reillys didn't have the same lengths in stock
for the two types.
The specs on the back of the O'Reillys packages are:
XtraSeal 15-4600 Tire Valves 1-1/4" HP 0.453" TR600HP
o Max cold inflation pressure is 80 psi
o Rim thickness not to exceed 0.205" (5.2mm)
XtraSeal 15-4142 Tire Valves 1-1/2" HP 0.453" TR414
o Max cold inflation pressure is 65 psi
o Rim thickness not to exceed 0.156" (3.96mm)
Reply to
Arlen G. Holder
The slot is just like a slot in the head of a screw. It is used for assembly, disassembly
The valve stem is for different rims. Typically truck rims are thicker and heavier and tires have higher pressure.
Reply to
Ed Pawlowski
Hi rbowman,
<slaps head!> That makes a LOT of sense!
o Here's what my old chuck looks like, with the slotted "head" taken apart.
's only two pieces (3 in total, including the body).o I had never noticed that slot before as I've never needed to take it apart. Thanks!
Reply to
Arlen G. Holder
Thanks Ed,
Interestingly, there was no steel spring inside when I unscrewed the face.
There was just the screw-off face, the round body, and a "pin" that had a rubber grommet around it (which must act as the "spring").
> The valve stem is for different rims. Typically truck rims are thicker > and heavier and tires have higher pressure. What the package said was completely clear to me, which was only that it specified only a MAXIMUM thickness and pressure.
I was asking about the unspecified MIMIMUM thickness and pressure, which, I suppose, can only be garnered from experience.
In _my_ experience, admittedly only about 30-odd tires, I've used both types in passenger car tires with nary a leak - but Clare says the brass valve stem "might" leak in a thin rim, even though a minimum spec wasn't specified on the package.
I would have gotten what I normally get, which is 1-1/2 inch brass 0.453" diameter bolt in 60psi valves - but the store didn't have any and this was an emergency mount and balance.
To be clear, the ones I normally get have TWO diameters, because they come with two rubber grommets, one for 0.625" holes and the other grommet for 0.453" holes as shown in this photo from a prior mounting & balance:
, for example, in this photo there are TWO grommets where only one isused, depending on how big the hole is:
are the valves I normally use - where in about 30-odd mounts,I haven't had a valve leak yet. The question wasn't ever about the maximums, since _all_ the valves sold in that store had maximums well above this particular vehicle's spec - so - based on the spec - EVERY valve "fits".
The question was about the minimums, which are unstated on the package.
Reply to
Arlen G. Holder
So many decisions!
See, this is why I take my car to Wally's Service Station and have Goober do my tires.  It's just easier.
Reply to
Biff Tannen
The HF compressor is still functioning although I removed the regulator after it blew its guts out. The semi-engaged threads in the pot metal body were not salvageable. The hose and connectors in the accessory pack are functional.
I did find there are at least two styles of 1/4" male connectors. Of course, I bought the wrong style.
Reply to
rbowman
Hi rbowman,
Thanks for that additional information, where I assume the "rubber grommet" is the "spring" in this ancient Sears chuck from, oh, it has to be from the 1970's when I first did major body work and painted a car which is why I bought that Sears 220VAC 20-gallan wheeled compressor in the first place.
The chuck doesn't work all that well lately, so I bought this new one to replace it, where when we were replacing the chuck, the kid asked the question, where I _encourage_ all intelligent people to not be afraid of asking questions so that they learn (as do I), from the answers from more knowledgeable people.
Hence I appreciate your experience that you relayed about HF tools.
My experience with HF is similar, in that there are 3 categories (IMHO): o Outright crap that isn't worth a penny (e.g., their 100' air hoses) o Stuff that's crap - but it's worth it (e.g., their tire mounting tools) o Stuff that's ok - so it's a good deal (e.g., tire irons & wheel weights)
Funny you mention the air compressor is still working, as mine is an ancient circa 1970's 220VAC 20 gallon Sears air compressor, which is still going strong (many hoses later).
My biggest problem is _finding_ air hoses that are good but not too expensive. If anyone has a good source for them, let us all know.
I bought the HF yellow plastic coiled hose for short distances, which sucked, as did the black rubber-coated reinforced vinyl 100' hose from HF.
That does drive me nuts that the quick connectors are of different styles, where I only need one, and it's "whatever I've got", which is, I don't remember, but which dates back to the 1970s when I first bought the air compressor.
once went over the various styles, many years ago, on a.h.r, but Iforget offhand what our conclusion was as to the "right" kind to get.
just want the kind of connector that fits "whatever I've already got"although I _am_ interested in why they have the different types, where allthese differences are great, but it still has to fit what I've already got.
Reply to
Arlen G. Holder
Hi Bill Tannen,
My wife is much like you are, where all she wants to know about any home DIY job or auto-repair DIY job ... is, just this: o "Honey ... did you fix the damn thing yet?"
HINT: No sex until the rubber is match mounted & balanced properly! :)
Jokes aside, nothing about automotive or home DIY matters to her - except "is it fixed yet?".
I've learned that if I even _tried_ to explain using even the slightest amount of complexity about a home or auto DIY, her eyes go glassy and roll in her head - and it's not that she can't handle details - since she has an advanced degree in engineering - just like I do ... it's just that ... well ... um ... er ... ah ... o *She just doesn't give a shit about home or automotive car repair* :)
You're apparently the same - which is fine - but many of us _love_ to _learn_ about things that other people don't have a clue about.
For example, like almost everyone here, I too comprehend every spec molded on a tire (since I care about tires) and on a brake pad, including the tire's painted dots or the brake pad friction material and rating, where to most people a tire or a brake pad is simply too complex mechanical voodoo.
IMHO, those people who consider tires and valves and friction materials too complex for them to comprehend instantly become a marketing person's dream since they only know the glossy material of what marketing people tell them (which is almost complete bullshit). But that's all they know because they don't care to know _anything_ about tires or friction materials.
And that's ok o Ignorance is bliss to them.
Similarly it's the same with most people on tire chucks & tire valves. o To most people, I suppose, tire chucks & valves ... "simply exist".
It's interesting that they likely don't even know what "Schrader" means for example, as they're completely clueless about what we're talking about. o And that's ok as ignorance clearly is bliss for most people.
They're often the same about many things, e.g., if I said there's no appreciable "octane" in gasoline, they'd look at me with glassy eyes since all their life, they _thought_ gasoline was "octane" (or at least had more than a tiny percent of it) ... where if I ever once mentioned 2,2,4 tri-methyl pentane is what people refer to as "octane", they'd look at me as if I was speaking Cyrillic to them - they're _that_ clueless about basics of automotive terminology.
And that's ok. o Ignorance is bliss to many people.
Me? o I prefer to ask questions where I'm not afraid to admit I don't have all the answers - and where I _love_ factual details about home & automotive DIYs.
I learn from mounting tires; they don't learn anything when mounting tires. o Their ignorance is their bliss - and that's ok.
I's their right to remain ignorant. o However, I must state the super obvious that this is a home-repair and auto-tech group which is "supposed" to "give a shit" about home-DIYs and auto DIYs, AFAIK.
You don't have to give a shit about everything asked here ... o But if your remark was intended to be condescending - it wasn't taken that way - it was taken as simply "you don't give a shit" about the proper mounting and balancing of tires - which _MANY_ people don't give a shit about.
While _everyone_ on this ng has done the common "little" jobs like batteries, alternator and starters, cooling systems, CCvs (aka PCR but calling a CCV a PCR is understating the effort), exhaust systems, smog repairs, brake jobs, fluid changes, ball joints, tie rods, struts and shocks, window glass and regulators, DISA, FSU, CCV, VANOS, etc., for the bimmer owners, oil pump gaskets, blower motors, etc....
Most people haven't done the "bigger" jobs at home yet ... o Nor do they even want to do those "bigger" jobs at home, it seems.
And that's ok.
However ...
There's something strange that happens on this ng whenever we cover this canonical half dozen typical automotive "bigger" jobs where only _some_ people (not all mind you - just some), make up all sorts of ridiculous reasons why they _can't_ do the typical repair job (where they need to be honest with themselves that they simply don't _like_ the job, in most cases, IMHO): 1. Mounting tires & balancing wheels 2. Clutch & transmission overhaul 3. Measure & align caster, camber, & toe 4. Major body work & painting at home 5. Full-tank refueling at home 6. Engine overhaul at home
Me? o I've done only _half_ those canonical common repair jobs at home.
So I admit I still have a _lot_ to learn! o So I will keep asking questions, since I have 3 more of those jobs to go!
Reply to
Arlen G. Holder
I realize that there are criteria that result in different designs but the engineer in me is offended when the main criteria seems to being slightly different from the other company's design. I have a collection of oil filter cap wrenches, all of which are almost, but not quite, the same. Even if the filter itself is for the same applications the different manufacturers have to march to their own drummer.
Reply to
rbowman
There are people who like to learn and there are people who don't. o And that's OK.
For example, here's a picture of 3 of my chucks - do you have any advice for how to repair the oldest one, the one at the left, which, I _thought_ was simply missing a rubber grommet - but which seems to be missing a spring (although, I've never taken it apart)?
the brand new chuck, in the middle, has an actual spring. Can you post a picture of the insides of your chucks, so we can compare?
Reply to
Arlen G. Holder
Hi rbowman,
I agree with you that simply having a different size for no good reason than to make it incompatible with others, is a marketing sham.
We should strive to not fall prey to those shams, where, I admit, I must have a dozen different oil filter wrenches myself, from the cap type to the strap type for my non-BMW vehicles (the bimmer has a different kind of oil filter setup).
I just snapped this picture of my disassembled chucks, where you'll note two things of related import. <
is that only the middle (brand new) chuck even _has_ a spring, whichmay be why I'm unhappy with the oldest chuck from the 1970s's when I boughtthe compressor to paint my old Japanese sports car. I have no idea where the spring went, where it's impossible that anyone else has ever had possession of the chuck - so - maybe - perhaps - decades ago - I may have taken it apart and somehow - perhaps - lost the spring?
I can't see the spring leaving on its own.
I could have sworn that I would have had the right sized spring in my box of things, but a look there found everything but the right sized springs. Since I take apart EVERYTHING that breaks, I am surprised I didn't save more of the springs - but alas - I'll have to buy some since I see now that the real problem with the chuck was that I didn't know how to repair it. (And I hate waste - where I feel too many people waste our earth's limited resources by throwing them out instead of fixing them.)
Anyway, the second thing is that the fittings I have on hand are from a batch I bought from HF on sale perhaps a year or two ago, where the red label says that they're "Industrial 1/4 inch Brass NPT M" fittings by a company named "Kobalt" with a SKU of "8 79686 00455 4"
A google search finds this:
guess that means my fitting "type" is "Industrial", whatever that tellsus.
Pretty much, that means I need to _only_ get "Industrial" fittings when I need new ones, where the old ones don't ever wear out - but they seem to hide with the socks.
Reply to
Arlen G. Holder

Site Timeline Threads