usage of high temperature grease ????

Dear Friends

Being a trader i am alwayz in search of new products which could be marketed.Last week i was offered a high temperature silicon thicked grease , and it was claimed to have drop melting point more than 316 C which was supported by a test report of a famous research institute using ASTM 2265 .I wanna ask from ppl here in this room , though they mentioned many usages ,

*) where this high temperature grease culd be used ,i mean to say plz give me some detail as we need to market here so choosing a target market .i.e . TARGET INDUSTRY ????
Reply to
pro_marketing200767

pro snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote in news:701ed305-f1f9-4e2c-99f2- snipped-for-privacy@e25g2000prg.googlegroups.com:

The food industry, for one.

Tegger

Sounds like typical copier fuser grease to me, at least if it's clean enough. It needs to be pretty damn clean for copiers.

For automotive use, high temperature silicone greases tend to be popular for things like distributor bearings. They need to handle shear very well for that, though.

As high temperature greases go, 316'C is pretty good but not amazing. The nice thing about the silicones is that the flash point is pretty well controlled too, though.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

Dear Scott thanx for ur reply , they say that dropping point is GREATER THAN 316 C as tested by Southwest Research Institue and there isnt any method for testing it more than that , next , as u said it shud have controlled Flash point , so by u suggest me to ask them to test this flash point as well . Dear does controlled flash point would make it amazing or special and marketable for any specific industry . thnx

Reply to
pro_marketing200767

Look at the Dow Corning series of silicone greases. They are basically silicone oils thickened with fumed silica, or similar. They have some uses in high vacuum situations, elevated temperatures, etc.

While they are unique and useful, I do not think you have stumbled upon a gold mine.

Reply to
HLS

Well, ehe flash point should be on the data sheet.

See, you can't use a grease past the point where it gets too thin for the job, but you ALSO can't use it at temperatures where it starts to degrade or temperatures where it bursts into flame.

A lot of greases using paraffin base lubes will burst into flame before they become too thin to use. So the flash point is the limiting factor.

Most silicones have high flash points. Consequently, the drop point tends to be a bigger issue.

Agreed, and also look at some of the General Electric stuff. They also make some greases, as well as some very thick pure silicone compounds like Viscasil.

The pure silicones have very good flow characteristics but break down with high shear forces because they are long silicone chains with no thickening agent.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

Exactly right. They can shear degrade.. They also degrade when exposed to alkaline conditions.

Reply to
HLS

you know.......every once and awhile.......

You run across an amazing thread in these NG's that actually inform Techs as well as laymen......and give insight into the intellect of some of the regs on the NG, who often make you wonder if they know which end of a paperclip to stick in an ADL connector..........

anywhooooo....... good thread.....and don't fergit to hit the rating button.

~:~ mm ~sips his coffee.......files this one in his lube files~ ~:~

Reply to
Marsh Monster