using a torque wrench below scale

hi folks, i have got a 40-200Nm wrench. I have a 22nm bolt to tighten. anyone ever been in this situation before? any work around like setting dial below the scale begins/using math etc? any ideas?

Thanks, Sam

Reply to
Sam

22nm bolt? Buy an electron microscope.

Do you have a micrometer (AKA clicker) style wrench? If so, there's not much you can do other than to tighten the bolt by feel. If you have a beam type wrench, you could calibrate it by applying a 22N-m torque and marking the quadrant where the needle is pointing.

It's not hard to test or calibrate torque wrenches. Clamp the square drive head in a vise, and attach a known mass at with a piece of wire, at a measured distance from the head of the wrench. If you use a bucket of water as the mass, you can very precisely measure the exact torque that a clicker wrench trips at.

Reply to
Mark Olson

This distance is critical, that means he needs 40 Newton Metres worth of bucket of water. Set the wrench to 40 Newton Metres, select the distance from the head of the wrench to hang the bucket until it clicks. Dumpt almost half of the bucket's content or leave 16.25 lb worth. Hang it again at the exact same spot, mark the degree of the turn in relation to the square drive head.

16.25 lb = 22Nm 29.5 lb = 40 Nm Need a coversion calculator?
Indian Summer

I have often used a standard ring wrench and a small spring type handheld weigh scale if my torque wrench didn't go low enough. Divide the amount of torque you want by the length of the wrench and pull on the spring scale at

90 degrees to the axis of the wrench until it reads the lb amount you require. ie: 5 ft lbs with a 6" wrench, pull the spring scale until it reads 10 lbs.
Reply to
Mike

*Ahem* The URL was doubled up and thus, resulted in a 404. Correct URL:

-Tim

Reply to
Tim H.

A very clever, and simple, way to do this.

Reply to
Alex Rodriguez