Wait a cycle after resetting MIL before inspection?

I've had my Lexus LS400 exhaust repaired, and they reset the engine light. Can I get it inspected immediately? (I'm in NJ if that makes any difference.) Shop told me the OBD2 will show "Not Ready" for around 100 miles and I will fail because of that. True or false?

Reply to
Dean

Dean wrote in news:2f3fa340-cf65-4272-b4f9- snipped-for-privacy@34g2000hsh.googlegroups.com:

Does NJ put the car on a dyno or do they just plug it into a scanner?

If they only use the dyno and do a simple visual check for an illuminated MIL, they'll never know about any "not ready" monitors and you won't fail because of any "not ready". If they just plug the car in, you'll fail if the monitors are not all reported "ready".

Toyota has a TSB out on the drive patterns necessary to force all the monitors to report "ready". This can all be done on the same day, as I recall.

Reply to
Tegger

NJ plugs it in and reads all the stuff.

Thanks for the info, I'll see if I can google it.

-Dean

Reply to
Dean

Trueish... It takes a number of cycles for the system to be "ready" again. The mileage doesn't really matter, it is the number of successful passes. They did this so that you can't just reset the computer and go pass the test without actually fixing the problem.

Steve B.

Reply to
Steve B.

YEP True. Jersey uses both a scanner and tailpipe sniffer. If they plug in and see monitors not ready they can fail you.

Reply to
Steve W.

I wonder if it is automatically a fail? People get cars fixed and then go straight to the inspection, right? Without doing 100 miles first. Maybe I will try!

Reply to
Dean

Dean wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@s50g2000hsb.googlegroups.com:

I have a copy of that TSB. Is your reported email address valid?

Reply to
Tegger

snipped-for-privacy@s50g2000hsb.googlegroups.com:

Yes, it is accurate! And thanks, that would be great. I got no-where on google.

Cheers,

Dean

Reply to
Dean

Dean wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@c58g2000hsc.googlegroups.com:

Check your email. I hope this is a post-'96 vehicle.

Reply to
Tegger

I wonder if it is automatically a fail? People get cars fixed and then go straight to the inspection, right? Without doing 100 miles first. Maybe I will try!

Reply to
Woody

Yes, If you don't have the required number of monitors it's an automatic fail. They will just tell you. Sorry, it won't pass, just like if the light is one when you go in.

They may get the car fixed and go to inspection, but they won't pass if the monitors are not ready.

Reply to
Steve W.