water cooled turbo charger without water

Ok, I have a rather stupid sounding question -- what happens if you run a oil+water cooled turbo without connecting it to water. The reason I'm asking is I'm looking for a turbo to put on a 1600 vw aircooled engine. During my junkyard-shopping, it looks like most everything I find is water+oil cooled.

Can I plumb oil into the water jacked of an oil+water cooled turbo to make it an oil+oil cooled turbo? Or can I just do away with the water cooling entirely?

I read somewhere that water cooling a turbo is only necessary to prevent the oil in the bearing from getting cooked after you shut the engine off, and this can be avoided by idling the motor for a couple of minutes prior to shutdown. Is this true?

Thanks

Reply to
Scott

Whatever you do the turbo will most likely outlive the engine. I suggest routing oil through the cleaned of rust and swarf water passages.

Reply to
Chas Hurst

Hmm... didn't somebody used to make superchargers for those engines back in the seventies? You might be better off going that way rather than with a turbo.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

Wicked cool! I want to see pictures and dyno charts when you get it done. :)

Turbos do get real hot, so am curious what your idea on cooling is. Would you push the bug's oil through it or put it on a separate circuit with a separate pump and cooler?

My experience with turbos is limited to a couple of Saab 900. They do recommend you let the car idle for about 15-30 seconds after the turbo has kicked in recently. If you does not let it cool this way, the oil that lubes the turbo's spindle cooks and breaks down. It will cause the turbo's bearings to fail over a relatively short time (ask me how I know that one :) If you've been using it on the highway and have just gotten off local roads without using the turbo, there really isn't a need to cool it down or so 'they' say. I always cooled it, regardless after the first turbo's premature demise.. :)

Oil changes on an oil cooled turbo Saab should be religously done at 3500 miles. Later models turbo are watercooled, as you mentioned - they are cooled much better and are a lot more reliable. They still need to be cooled down after aggressive driving, though.

Remco

Reply to
remco

Reply to
Grahame Rumballe

It seems like a water and oil cooled turbo running without water would overheat and fry (since it was designed to be cooled by water, there isn't sufficient cooling otherwise) ... kinda like running a water cooled motorcycle without coolant. Even though there are air cooled motorcycles, running a water cooled motorcycle without coolant won't last very long.

What you might want to do, though, is find a car that doesn't use a water cooled turbo. I believe the 1981 Turbo Trans Am is one of them. I don't know how well that turbo will work (since it's fitted to a V8 engine) in your car, but there have to be air cooled turbos somewhere. They were invented, after all, in 1910.

Reply to
Walter

"Scott" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...

Try these, might shed a light...