Re: actually OIL cooled

the air cools the oil. ACVW's have a radiator .. for the oil.

> but, you knew that.

No it isn't. The oil would have to circulate through channels in the head intended for cooling. See BMW motorcycle which had strictly AC until the new models which had oil circulating chanels for the heads, and then they still called it Air/Oil cooled..

Reply to
<jjs>

No... guess by that thinking what we consider "watercooled" is actually aircooled... air does cool the water, ya know...

Reply to
Joey

OMG I think that we had this discussion a couple of years ago! lol AND that was my position..............air cools the engine directly or air cools the water which cools the engine! It's all cool though! ;-)

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

yes, it comes up every now and then... But as John said earlier the oil is not designed to cool the engine, the oil gets hot by coming into contact with hot surfaces, not because it was intended to cool the engine... as far as watercooled cars being air cooled due to air cooling the water, its' the water's job to do the cooling, it's the air's job to cool the water...so the water is aircooled,but the engine is not...LOL

Reply to
Joey

Here in NW Oregon all engines are water cooled. ;o)

Tony

Reply to
Anthony W

ACTUALLY.... the external surfaces of watercooled engines are also aircooled. (engine block, heads, manifolds, everything...) There's airflow in the engine bay, and if that is blocked, the engine is more likely to overheat.

:)

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

Jan you silly (nearly) American, the airflow in the engine bay of water coolers is to exhaust the air that just went through the radiator to cool the water..... while it may remove some heat(just as the oil does in our cars) it's not a large contributor to cooling the engine...block off the holes in the engine bay and the engine can run hot because air can't flow through the radiator...(that air is akin to the folks that put the oil cooler over the air intake of our aircooled vehicles, preheated air)

Reply to
Joey

don't some Vanagons have the radiator in the front but the WATER-COOLED engine in the rear? Not sure if much air reaches that engine. Of course there are other rear engine water cooled vehicles.

It's all cool though!

BTW I worked on a vehicle that was overheating because the radiator fan was wired to run in reverse! lol that was a fun one to catch! ;-)

BUT this IS an air-cooled section and we don't need no stinking water to stay cool right?

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

Ya wrench, ya drink beer to stay cool. Never seen a water-free beer.

Reply to
<jjs>

hahahahah....

not unless you live in a dry climate and can take advantage of a "swamp cooler"!!

Reply to
Joey