Where do I go to get brake rotors turned?

I thought I'd just toss this out before making calls in the morning. I have a 90 Olds that seems to eat brake pads for a living. They go fast towards the end, and when they run outta food they like to gnaw on the rotors. I've replaced both calipers... same thing.

Anyway, I've typically just replaced the rotors, but last time I held on to the old ones. They aren't in too bad of shape, but are gouged a bit and need to be turned to reuse.

My question is... Where do I take them to be turned? I thought about going to a brake shop, but most of them seem to farm out the jobs to someone else.. I'd rather just take them someplace and get them turned while I wait. Any suggestions? Machinist? Muffler shop?

Also, what do they typically charge? These things are only $18 new. If it's over $10, it'll hardly be worth it.

Any info much appreciated!

Joseph

Reply to
joseph

Depends upon where you are. In some larger cities, local auto parts stores often have brake drum and disc lathes in the back.

In this little burg where I live, there is a local machine shop that has all the equipment necessary to do the work properly.

Costs vary.

If you continue to eat up front brakes on that car, be sure your rear brakes are working properly. The rear disc brakes on that era GM were really bad about losing their adjustment. Nonadjusting rear drums can do the same. No braking on the rear means it is all focussed on the front discs.

Reply to
<HLS

I wouldn't even bother if new disks are $18. If they were twice that it might just be worth enquiring about getting the old ones refaced. You might want to check that the flexible hoses aren't perished and breaking up inside. They often become one way valves which hold the brakes on. Take it for a run and then jack up each corner and check for binding while it's still hot.

-- Dave Baker

***
Reply to
Dave Baker

Just about any auto parts store can do it. I have reservations about those cheap rotors. Most, if not all, come from China or India, where the term "quality control" is often an oxymoron.

Reply to
NickySantoro

Most good auto parts stores will turn them, but in your case I can all but guarantee it won't be worth it.

nate

Reply to
N8N

***

Reply to
ANTHONY DIODATI

Yeah... I went to NAPA and they said I could take them to a shop a few miles away and get the turned for $20, or buy new ones for $18 ;-)

Put the new brakes on.. All was peachy a few days.. Now I have a thunking on the driver's side front. The braking works fine... Not sure what it is. Not a CV I hope.

Reply to
joseph