windscreen affecting airbags? eh?

I saw an advert from an auto windowscreen company claiming that if you windscreen is not fitted properly, it might affect airbags deployment. How so?

Reply to
pedro1492

The glass is an integral part of the safety systems, on many vehicles the glass is used as a barrier for the airbag. It acts as a backing plate so the bag doesn't just act like a balloon when it deploys and just bounce around. If the glass isn't bonded properly it will break free and the bag becomes useless.

Reply to
Steve W.

A few weeks ago, I saw a car (25-30 years old) get rear-ended. Apart from' the arse end crumpling, the windscreen popped off. So I guess that the glue had deteriorated badly....

Reply to
pedro1492

Probably not the glue but what it was attached to. Most glass is bonded into the painted window channel, and rust/corrosion or failure under the paint and the paint just peels up. In my area it is the rust that causes most issues, even "sealed" connectors corrode internally from it.

Reply to
Steve W.